Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenlove_gw

Tree Peony Shock

gardenlove
18 years ago

I purchased a potted Hanakisoi tree peony this spring that was barerooted and shipped to me fully leafed out with a huge bud on it ready to flower!(I know, I know...I did not pay alot for it, but sure hope I can get it to grow well for me too)....I potted it up again and removed the bud allowing it to open in a bud vase indoors(oh my...it took my breath away!...I love Hana:)....Of course with all the trauma, it went into shock and its leaves all wilted, starting to dry out on the ends. I just cut them off the plant yesterday, figuring it would be best for the plant to divert all energy into its roots. Was this the correct thing to do under the circumstances?(or have I further traumatized it?..guess I should have asked the forum first!)...I have it on a shady patio and am keeping the soil slightly moist, not watering every day, but not letting it get too dry. Its stem is still nice and green. Our weather right now is hot days and cool nights. I am just keeping it out of direct sun and wind and leaving it alone...but should I be doing anything else?..Should I be watering with B1 or Super Thrive perhaps?...It has not been long enough to know what its gonna do next...any suggestions or thoughts about what I can expect would be welcome.(and future tree peonies will be transplanted or shipped in the fall!!!!:)....Thank you for any advise..GardenLove

Comments (7)

• zoneimpaired
    18 years ago

Dear Gardenlove, Get the tree peony into the ground where you want it to live.. Even if there is no activity above ground, it will be growing roots. I have been starting 100+ tree peony from seed over the last couple of years. The first year I had seedlings under lights for the winter. In the spring I put them outside, hoping they would go dormant and then flush out again... gaining two years growth in one calendar year.The did not experience enough chilling hours and stayed dormant all summer. I should correct myself, they were dormant above ground, but busy developing roots. All became right the next spring, so have faith. The tree peony really is quite forgiving, but don't compound the error of spring planting with impatience. The plant really does need the coolness of being in the ground. Robb

• gardenlove
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello Robb...Thank you so much for your reply...I can go ahead and plant it as you suggest, but should I choose a part shade location for it?..or is a sunny spot OK even considering its shock?....We have quite hot, sunny days...so the reason I put it in a pot was to keep it in a shady, wind free spot.....if its ok to just plant it, I will go ahead and do that...I am sure that its much easier to prevent overwatering with it in the ground...I will have patience:)...thats good advise...Thank You!....GardenLove

• zoneimpaired
    18 years ago

gardenlove, The biggest reason for partial shade is to allow the bloom to last longer. If there is some high canopy cover, or mid-day protection, that would be perfect....Robb

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Temporary part shade is also helpful for a tree peony that is transplanted in spring, since they just don't have the roots to cope with hot sun all summer. Too much watering because it wilts every day can be more harmful than letting it wilt.

• gardenlove
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just an update...I never got around to planting the Hanakisoi in the ground yet, but its putting out new leaves now, so I know its alive and working on its root system!!!...I have kept the pot in a part shade location so it does not get too hot...I guess at this point, I could go ahead and plant it in the ground and provide some shade when its really hot...or perhaps I should I just wait to plant it out in the ground this fall? Tree Peonies are resilient plants...it was wonderful to see the new growth emerging...GardenLove

• covella
    18 years ago

I'm no expert, but I'd plant that puppy to let it stretch its roots out a bit and get established. If its as hot at your place as it is here, having those roots underground will be better. I planted a tree peony this spring in a full sun position and surrounded it with Becky daisies so it would have lots of protection its first year. It looks quite green and happy. I'm moving the Becky's in the fall so they don't take over entirely.

• gardenlove
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello!...just an update on the Hanakisoi Pink Tree Peony I purchased last year.... I finally put it into the ground in late fall...barely alive looking:(...its stem obviously died back to at least ground level this winter...and it was NOT coming up when all my other tree peonies were already showing signs of life this spring...so I was fairly sure it was a goner:(...Today, I went out to take another look at it...and low and behold...I see a sprout just starting to break the surface of the soil!!...there is HOPE!!!!!....Now, I planted it very very deeply in hopes that would protect the grafted part of this cultivar and not just the rootstock, but now I am wondering if the leaves will be able to tell me if its really Hanakisoi, or if its just the rootstock that made it? Any advise about that?.....I am so happy to see new life..its a "sign" for me, and I sure am happy for that:)....GardenLove