Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinoisdoglover

Some of my spring blooms

illinoisdoglover
10 years ago

Here is one of my unusual peonies, Green Halo. Does not have large blooms, but is definitely worth adding to the gardens.

Comments (89)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

I really enjoyed your pictures, thanks! Your plants look great and I love all the variety you have.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now it is time for some other peony lovers to show some of their pictures. I am always looking for new ones. Does anyone grow Commando?
    I have been looking for this one for quite a while, but Klehms Songsparrow has been having crop failure on this one for the last few years. This is just a reference picture.

Oh, and yes , I am glad everyone enjoyed the pictures. I will add more some other time. Happy gardening.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Mine are just starting to bloom. I have 2 shrubs that are teasing me--they've had buds with slivers of color for 3 days now....with all of the beautiful blooms you have I can't imagine what it must look like after a few perfect weather years! Gorgeous!

• Tina_n_Sam
    10 years ago

Beautiful peonies!

Oh, wow on the Commando. My mom used to have red peonies in her old house. Since I am on a peony kick, I have been noticing all the peonies around here but haven't seen red ones. Nor at the local nurseries (all the big retailers).

:-o to the river snake!

-Tina

• Normelly
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of my Teni TP. Could this be your pinkish NOID TP?

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lizin, yes, it takes a few years but Oh the rewards when they come into bloom. You need a great variety of very early, early, mid, mid-late and late bloomers to be assured the blooming season always has peonies. Great with the iris when they are blooming and other perennials.

I think my tree peony is much pinker. I will try to look back thru some old papers and see if I have any information, Seidi comes into mind. Thru the years, I have been able to purchase some unmarked Tree Peonies and I also have many NOID herbacious peonies.

Tina n Sam, in order to get some really nice peonies, you must try the professional growers. Most of the Big Box stores and local garden centers only care a half dozen or so peony varieties. Try Klehms Songsparrow and Hollingsworth Peonies . They are great places to start.

Normelly, that Teni is a beauty. Love them all. It looks more lavender than mine. Let's see more peony pictures, I know there are more of us peony lovers out there.

Here is Charles Burgess.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Largo

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This tree peony started out red years ago and now blooms two colors on one bush. Probably have its name somewhere in the records. Will try to find the pictures from when it only bloomed red.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another NOID tree peony.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

All your peonies are amazing. Wish I can grow all of them. Your Silver Dawn mix is very unique. Is Commando a good red? What is special about it?

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kousa: It has been on my list for the past 10 years or so. I found a picture of it in a garden magazine and according to all the information and the beauty of the peony, I wanted to add it to my collection. It is suppose to be a Bomb type, very intense deep red. I will keep looking till I find one from a dependable grower. Doesn't the color just speak for itself?

Yet, "Red Grace" was amazing this year. I can not seem to capture the intense deep magenta-true red or perhaps a carmine-red that it really is. I am going to try a better sd high definition card for my camera, hope that will help. I usually only have to set my camera on auto and it does the rest.

What zone are you? The Silver Dawn Mix surprise you when they bloom for the first season. I have been moving the pale pink ones to a certain area and gathering the yellows to plant in another area of my garden. Love the yellows. I am attaching "Soft Apricot Kisses" from last year. It is prettier than the actual picture. Hope the next picture will show the apricot color better.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like I do not have another picture of "Soft Apricot Kisses" on this computer, will have to do some research back thru many sd cards.

Meanwhile, this is the reference picture of the "Silver Dawn Mix" when I ordered them. So you can see, you do not know what you are getting unless you get them from someone that has already went thru the process of ordering mystery peonies with a known name.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Kansas", should be deeper in color but this was taken with the sun shinning today, a rare thing around here.....usually cloudy and raining.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures, love the peppermint types & Apricot kisses especially. I need to check out my Red Charm, next year now since mine are finished. I think mine is fuller than yours. Got most of my peonies from box stores, so some have turned out to be wrong, but I still love them.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ngraham: I am adding a few other pictures of Red Charm. The first one I posted by the moose was a younger plant. So hard to capture to the truly lovely color. It is one of our favorites. I will try to see if I have a picture of a shorter peony that is similar in color called. "Eliza Lundy".
    I have so many sd cards with perennial pictures that is so time consuming to go back and find the correct photos I am looking for. This year is a different story, since so many peonies along with other perennials suffered from the drought last year and had to deal with the flooding we had in April and standing water. Here is another picture of "Red Charm", the color should be much deeper.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red Charm again

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

more "Red Charm", still having trouble capturing the intense color of this peony and others. Perhaps it is the sd card. Computer is the same, my Canon G9 camera is the same and I am still shooting with the auto feature, any suggestions? I take pictures at all times of the day. Will be back later tonight. Looking forward to other peony lovers pictures.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

They are all incredible pictures. Once you have a couple of peonies, it does not take long to add to it over the years. Although I have only started last year, I already have more than 20 different peonies. This year, I will probably add another 10. The reason that I ask you about the Commando peony is how it differs from Red Charm and Henry Bockstoce. I have both of these. I love the Henry Bockstoce because of the bloom, the color, and the most wonderful sweet scent, better than all the scented peonies I grow. If you really want the Commando, I may know of someone you can order from. This is the first time I order from him, so I cannot attest to the quality or reliability. I just sent him an email if I can share his info with you. If he says ok, I will give you his contact info. I saw him listed Commando peony for $25/root. Shipping is at cost. If you want to wait until after I receive my order this fall, then place your order, I can tell you more about my experience.

Karen

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Karen: Thank you, and yes I would be interested in purchasing Commando. As I stated, according to some reference pictures I had, I decided to add "Commando" to my want list. Looks like it should be another BOMB type, deep intense color. I have Henery Bockstoce also and love it also. "Red Grace" is a beauty, one must get that one. I am waiting for "Highlight" to bloom for the first time. It is also suppose to be another huge bomb type deep carmine/red. I have about another dozen or so on my want list, it is scary.....I just can not stop collecting them. I will try to add more pictures tomorrow. Trying to type and watch the hockey playoffs. We are in the second period break. Send me an email, flowersbytheriver2@comcast.net Here is another NOID tree peony.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Well, duh, I don't have Red Charm, I have Red Magic, that might explain it :) Should never have depended on my memory, especially right now! My photos of Red Magic are completely off, it is a deep red but my photos make it look more pink/almost purple.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ngraham: You must get "Red Charm". There is no comparison. I have still not sent a perfect picture which captures the beauty of "Red Charm". The older the plant gets, the larger the blooms. You will not be disappointed with it. I hope I can find some older pictures that actuall show the true color. Most magazine photos usually do not do it justice. Meanwhile, here is tree peony "Seidi".

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Has anyone grown "Mr.Ed". It can have white , pink and white/pink blooms all on the same bush. Look at this unique picture I took a couple years ago.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

last one for tonight. "Mrs. F.D.R.", again sometimes the photos just do not capture the pure beauty of the peonies.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Mrs FDR is a beauty. I have to get this peony. You just have helped me to identify a mislabeled peony. I ordered Carina last year and this is the bloom this spring which clearly is not Carina. At first I thought it was Many Happy Returns but it looks a lot more like Eliza Lundy. Thanks again.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kousa: Yes. Mrs. F.D.R is a beauty, such soft delicate pink. I was going to purchase Many Happy Returns but have not yet. I will look up Carina. My "Eliza Lundy" is a shorter peony, very intense color and so many petals compacted into a small bomb. The color is similar to "Red Charm". Here is a couple pictures of my "Eliza Lundy". If you like shorter peonies, it is a nice one. I am waiting on Little Red Hen to produce another bud for it's second season. See next picture of "Eliza Lundy' again.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another picture of "Eliza Lundy" with various plants. "Eliza Lundy" is in the front.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Little Red Hen ( rain did a number on her, but she is a nice shorter peony)

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Silly Sally (second year picture taken after rain also.......rain, rain go away )sorry, I do not know how to turn the picture here....any suggestions)

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NOID peony. but oh so beautiful

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Silly Sally close-up

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Command Performance (again effected by rain )

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Show Girl (this picture show the many stages of Show Girl all on one shot)

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cora Louise tree peony first year bloom

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

Your peonies are all beautiful. I would be hard-pressed to pick a favourite. I really like the Coral Supreme - got that in a flower arrangement years ago and it made an impression on me. I would certainly buy it and that Red Charm if it were available in my area. The only one that I have of the ones you've posted is Kansas. Do you have a fern leafed peony too? Mine was spectacular this year, with over thirty blooms on it.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Love the dark eye on Cora Louise, & Silly Sally is really different, I like the name for it too.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna; Yes I have double fern leaf peonies and recently purchased some single fern leaf peonies. Not sure if I took any new pictures this year. With all the rain and flooding we had this spring, it came and went to soon.

Ngraham: I can not wait to see Cora Louis a few years from now when it has several flowers. I have a white NOID that had 50 blooms in one season. It was amazing.

I am waiting to see if my Itoh Lemon Dream and Kopper Kettle will bloom this year. Prairie Charm and Prairie Sunshine has not bloomed yet. Does anyone have these? Garden Treasure bloomed but was smaller than normal.

Here is Officinalis Rubra Plena.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Officinalis Rosea Plena

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Fawn, first year bloom. Can not wait to see what this beauty will look like in a couple years.

• illinoisdoglover
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another view of The Fawn

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Hi Illinoisdoglover--did any of your newer peonies bloom this spring? My peony season was kinda blighted this year--way too much bitter cold followed by crazy hot temps for spring. I'm hoping for a better bloom season next year....
    If you took more pics I'd love to see them!!

• pwin
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for posting those pics, particularly of Green Halo and Pink Jitterbug. I ordered them this year. There are too few pics of labeled peonies over the internet.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

IDL, thank you for taking the time to post your lovely photos! I am putting together my fall list, and seeing your peonies was very helpful (though it doubled the length of the list...:)

• amhkgn
    10 years ago

Your peony blooms are just gorgeous!!!!

Could your red and white tree peony be Shima Nishiki?

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

I don't have any of my own plants to show, but here's a few blooms from NYC Bronx botanical garden from past may 2013. these are all tree peonies. they have a very nice collection. I put some shots into paint program to get a composite shot.
    may be you know what they are, I did not take the labels, just the blooms.

• peonyroselover123
    10 years ago

One of my Chinese tree peony bloom in my backyard 2012

• peonyroselover123
    10 years ago

Flower in 2012

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Illinoisdoglover, Adelman's has their 2014 catalog online already and they have Commando, listed for $60 so one of the more expensive ones but it sure it pretty!

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

I am very new at this - bought Cora Louise and Bartzella last year as 'Itoh peonies'. You say your Cora Louise is a tree peony - are these terms interchangeable?

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Cora Louise and Bartzella are intersectional peonies, They are a result of cross breeding tree peony and herbaceous peony. This resulting hybrid creates a NEW peony class called intersectional peony or Itoh hybrid, So their class name should not be interchangeable. If you want to learn more about itohs history, check out this website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Itoh peonies

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Some people in warmer zones say their Itohs don't die down to the ground, like tree peonies. If yours did Ryse Ryse don't worry, mine in zone 5 behave like herbaceous and have died down to the ground every year.
    Even the tree peony name is kinda a misnomer, they're more like medium to large desiduous shrubs. The blooms on most of them are incredible, though!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County