Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kek19

Peony Tree Seed Pods

kek19
16 years ago

Just curious about what would grow from a peony tree seed? They're a grafted plant, right? So would a peony grow or the base plant grow?

Comments (2)

• birdinthepalm
    16 years ago

Since most are hybrids, the offspring from seeds may or may not be what you're looking for or you may find a few seed grown ones well worth keeping and actually a brand new "cutlivar", though seed growing is a time consumming project. Not sure how many years from seeds to flowering , but I do allow mine to selfseed for baby plants, though I guess it is taking two years for the first leaves to even show up. The shoots from the base of grafted plants, most likely won't have their own root systems though they sometimes will develope their own roots , so they could be removed to start new plants. Otherwise, they are very difficult to root as I understand it! I'd add that I've twice tried sprouting the seeds in containers indoors , so thely could be container grown form the beginning, and on both occasions the seeds rotted for some reason, so now it's just the "selfsown" ones I'm looking to transplant at some point, though the first one had the one good root damaged in the process and didn't survive. I'd guess they are difficult to transplant when young, unless you get the roots intact!

• gwpal
    16 years ago

Patience is important. Peony seeds have a double dormancy, the first year they get a root and the second year a leaf.(usually it is a single leaf) Most tree peonies will flower the fourth or fifth year from seed. There are many places on the web with directions for planting the seed. The easiest method is to plant them in a nursery bed free from competing weeds and roots, where you can keep them watered if its dry. Plant the seeds about an inch deep. I plant mine in sunken pots to make it easier to keep track of them. There are indoor methods but, if you don't pay attention you can lose them in a hurry. The American Peony Society is working on a new web site - they have a lot of good information and a seed exchange for members. Good luck, Ann