Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
SAD peony...is it a goner?

Posted by lilgreenfrog 5a CO (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 07 at 0:13

Hi - I inherited a peony that came with our house, and know little about their care. I divided and transplanted it last spring (it was in full shade). One piece was quite happy this spring, and the other was small but leafing. Then we had our backyard put in, and the workers were told specifically to leave the peonies alone. Instead, they plowed one (the BLOOMING one) under, and pulled the other out and left it sitting in the sun all day. I replanted it, but it hasn't recovered; its leaves have died (like after I transplanted it), but the rhizome still feels firm. I've been watering it...how much water does it want? Can I do anything for it?

Thanks,
Lara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: SAD peony...is it a goner?

How awful that the workmen plowed one under and pulled the other one out (and left it in the sun, no less).

I'm no expert, but I'd say don't water too much. It's really a waiting game now...until next spring! Did the root have some "red eyes" when you replanted it? That would be a good sign.

Good luck! Peonies are always worth the wait!
Judye

o
RE: SAD peony...is it a goner?

Wow...jerks! The peonies will probably be okay, they're tougher than they get credit for IMO. I agree with Judye, I wouldn't go crazy watering it. The main thing would be to give it a good, deep watering to make sure you rinse soil in around the roots. A deep watering once a week for a few weeks would probably be fine, if it doesn't rain and the soil is dry. I'm not a faithful waterer, and I don't think I've ever killed a peony.
Odds are they'll be back next spring, but I don't think those workers would be, lol! Sorry that happened to ya :(
Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here