Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptilda

I saved peonies today!

ptilda
14 years ago

I went to the local Pamida (our local "big box" store), and looked in the clearance in the garden section. There was a cart full of those "bulb-in-a-bag" dookickeys... you know, the one with a bulb or root in a bag with sawdust or peat (in this case)? I saw some Peonies, and grabbed one of each color listed, despite the horrible site of them. At $1.00 a bag, I couldn't walk away!

I got one bag each of Edulis Superba, Immaculee, and Rossa Plena (according to the wrappers). Inside, there were two roots in each bag, but the roots were ROCK hard and shriveled, and looked to be lifeless. SO, I dropped them in a bucket of fresh water, and let them sit.

Tonight, I went to take a look at how they were doing, and EVERY SINGLE ROOT SHOWED SIGNIFICANT, BEAUTIFUL, PINK GROWTH! Even over a full inch on a couple of them, and in several locations. I am ECSTATIC, and am going to plant them in pots tomorrow until I get the sunny spot in the yard turned into a bed.

Lesson learned: everyone deserves a chance!

Lesson Learned #2: Just 'cause it came from "Big Box", doesn't mean it should be passed up.

Comments (5)

• duluthinbloomz4
    14 years ago

Sometimes "taking a chance" really pans out.

Lesson #3 that may yet to be learned - the "big box" bare roots might be seriously mislabled and could turn out to be a complete surprise for you when they do bloom.

Although I do have old peonies in my gardens, on impulse, I bought two, three root to a bag bare root peonies from Wal-mart in April 2008... supposedly, three Sarah Bernhardts and three just "Red" (guess even they couldn't identify them) at $3.99 a bag. Potted them up in a sunny window and they sprouted up like gangbusters. Against conventional thought, I planted them outside after Memorial Day 2008 and five of the six grew into nice sized plants over the growing season.

Five survived the winter and all five set buds that actually bloomed this year. But, none were Sarah Bernhardt and none were red. They were, however lovely peonies - two were a single white similar to "Krinkled White", two a single soft pink, and one a single raspberry pink. I couldn't have been happier because the colors were just perfect with the Walkers Low Nepeta and white Feverfew.

Despite their humble Wal-mart beginnings, these are definitely keepers.

• User
    14 years ago

Sometimes the red, white, and pink labled plants are plants a grower does not know what they are or has too few and no method of selling that they toss into these lots. Some of these are locally developed plants that are just gorgous.

Someone I know and is very truthful with his plants sells to big distributors with the correct name. He never sells less than a 3 eye root. He has been asked to provide 1 eye roots but has refused. He is aware that the distributor can/probably does cut the roots up into the one eye. These are the plants that you see at nurseries in quart or smaller containors. He has purchased over the years stock from several nurseries which contained peonies that the original nurseries had named. Most of these named plants are unsellable because no one reconizes the names so they will be put in the red, white, pink catagories. Many of these are beautiful. I have one that he donated to a sale, Jacqueline, that is a Japanese white on white with even the carpels being white. Was named after a daughter of the nursery owner.

My experiences with small nurseries and what happens to their stock is one of the reasons that I suggest that everyone try to locate their local grower. Many are daylily growers so you might start with them.

• ptilda
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a question with these new roots. What is the best way to start these peonies in pots? I've put some in pots after leaving them in the water for about 24 hours & put them in the sun, and am watering them. Anything else I should do?

• User
    14 years ago

As cold as you get in the winter I would not leave them in the pot but put them directly in the soil in about a month so they can establish roots to over winter. When the leaves come down mulch arround the plants with 4+ inches of leaves. The more the merrier but do not cover crown where the buds come out.

• suel41452
    14 years ago

Congrats on your score!! I got most of my peony roots at Sam's Club and Walmart. I could never have afforded the dozens of peonies I have now buying them all from nurseries. I say hooray for the Big Box stores!!!