Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laisan_gw

newbie with multiple questions...

Laisan
18 years ago

Hi,

I have a few peonies in my garden. The oldest (karl rosenfeld, spelling? one gallon pot planted 7 years ago) has only produced 6 flowers each year for the past 4 years, less in previous years. Is there anything I can do to make it more prolific? It gets, south and west sun exposure. The flowers seem more magenta than red, can I get it to be more red?

My neighbor gave me some of her deep wine peony when she divided it. My blooms are also more magenta, and kind of loose and sloppy compared to hers. What can I do to get them more ball shaped? I also have a sara bernhardt whose flowers open in a pinched/flattened way.

Are there any fire engine red, or burgundy peonies out there? I have about 9 magenta peonies in my search for a nice red.

Thanks for your patience and wisdom.

Laisan

Comments (8)

• artemis_pa
    18 years ago

I'm also a newbie with alot of questions. I live close to a peony nursery. Check out the link below. You will surely find what you are looking for. If you call them the staff will help you select what you are looking for. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: peony catalogue

• blueheron
    18 years ago

Does your peony get full sun? Is it planted too deeply? Both those reasons would cause limited blooming.

• Laisan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,
    Thanks for the response, I can already tell karl rosenfeld is on the magenta side from the link and will be calling for ordering info soon. I'll also lift the peonies up a little. I think they are getting enough sun, 6 hours plus in the summer.

Unless you mean Seattle doesn't have enough sunny days, too many cloudy days to support peonies?

Laisan

• Jen26
    18 years ago

How cold does Seattle get? I think peonies need a pretty good cold spell to perform well.

• Laisan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

As an avergage from my memory, there is usually half a dozen days per winter that drops below freezing. But never below 27F, and not more than three days in a row. Definately not a cold spell, hopefully planting them a bit more shallow will expose them to the cooler temps. Thanks so much.
    Laisan

• maifleur01
    18 years ago

There are several peony nurseries in Washington, Peonies Plus in Shelton, Full Bloom Farm Peonies in Lummi Island, and Boone Brier Farm in Kingston. One of the other members mentioned that (I think) that the temperatures needed to be below 43 F for a total of 35 days. But a lot depends on the micro climate where the plant is at.

Artemis, Banister Gardens is a great place for peonies. I liked how they have plants potted up most of the year and bare root ones starting in a couple of weeks. I help with the HPS sale and they are always great with advice and sometimes special plants for members sale. I go everywhere looking a flowers of all types and still like the nurseries in the KC area best.

• edgar_1
    18 years ago

when do I plant peonies i.e. can I plant this fall for spring blooming

• maifleur01
    18 years ago

Edgar_1,

Fall is best time to plant bare root peonies. Take the time to read through at least the first page of postings and you will get an idea of how and when others plant and what should be done after. Also sometimes what shouldn't be done. http:/www.peonies.org has a good FAQ for information

Sponsored