Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilacs_of_may

Sorbet peony problem

lilacs_of_may
16 years ago

I got and planted a Sorbet peony rhizome/root (?) about three months ago. It had some red buds on it, but they gradually died. Then about 3-4 weeks ago, I noticed a bud popping up out of the soil. It grew to be about an inch and a half tall, but now it seems to be drying up, although I try to make sure that it's regularly watered. And today I noticed that the whole root is kind of loose in the ground, like it's no longer anchored well.

Is there hope for this peony? Last fall I planted a Festiva Maxima and a Bowl of Beauty. They both leafed out this year although they haven't bloomed (but I didn't expect them to). I also planted this spring a Kirinmaru (sp?) that gets morning sun. It leafed out, although the leaves were smaller, but lately it's been drooping, even after being watered.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm a newbie gardener, and this is my first time for peonies, although we had them when I was a kid.

Comments (7)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

Your Sorbet is probably history. This sounds like you planted directly in the soil where you had little control over the growing conditions. A bareroot peony does better potted for the first year and put in the garden the next spring with a well established root system. Al

• lilacs_of_may
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dang. Like I said, I'm a newbie gardener, and no one told me this before or when I bought the peony.

Next time....

At least the Festiva Maxima and Bowl of Beauty are doing well. They're small, and they didn't bloom, but they're alive and healthy.

Thanks for the info.

• Nancy
    16 years ago

I don't know how hot it is in your zone, but by this time of the year here, even mature peonies start getting black spots & looking unhappy. I have had 1st year peonies disappear early in the season & return the next year. Being loose in the soil doesn't sound good, but don't give up completely. I have always planted bare root peonies directly in the garden & never a problem. Of course, there are a lot of factors to consider, soil, weather etc. Maybe I've just been exceptionally lucky.

• lilacs_of_may
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My Festiva Maxima and Bowl of Beauty I ordered and planted in the ground last fall, so they had some time to grow roots before winter. They came up this spring, although they weren't very big and they didn't bloom. But I didn't expect them to. The Sorbet I ordered, received, and planted in the spring.

Maybe that made the difference?

• lilacs_of_may
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bump.

Would I have better luck if I ordered peonies now and planted them next month? My spring plantings didn't do so well. My Kirinmaru I planted last spring, and it came up, but then wilted and died. I think it's a goner. But then it was broken into bits when I opened the package, so I didn't have much hope for it.

• LindaMA
    16 years ago

I am very interested in responses to your question above, as I just ordered a Sorbet Peony (bare root) from Park's seeds online. I would like to put it right into the ground in hopes that the roots will become established before winter here in Zone 5, but may decide to put it in a container until next Spring, depending on what other's say.

This is such a beautiful species, the colors are extraordinary.

Linda

• lilacs_of_may
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I pulled on the Sorbet peony today, and it came up readily. The roots weren't anchored into the soil, and it felt kind of soft and spongey.

I'm thinking of ordering another peony and putting it into the ground this fall, but I don't know. Maybe if I dug a lot of the soil out and mixed it with compost....

That's a perfect spot for a peony.