Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jderosa_gw

Little medicine man

jderosa
19 years ago

Anyone have any experience with this peony? I came across a great deal on 20 of these, and ant to plant them as a hedge down my driveway - prime peony real estate. I know only that it is a small growing single flowered plant - can't seem to find a lot of info on the net about this - no sources at all.

Joe 'any information will be appreciated' DeRosa

Comments (13)

• Ahmose_ta_sherit
    19 years ago

Maybe the name you were given is incorrect.

• jderosa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I see the plant is available in Europe, but no word of it here in the USA. I suspect that it is a late blooming small growing plant, with single reddish-pink flowers. I want to know if anyone has experience with this particular variety.

Joe 'still wondering' DERosa

• marniek
    19 years ago

Was wondering how you made out with this peony. I just bought one and as you, found no info on the web. The card with the peony said this variety grows 3' tall and 4' wide.
    It shows single red flowers with yellow stamens? Blooms late spring to early summer. Needs full sun and "moist well drained soil"!! Thought this was a tree peony but now I think not. It sure is full with a rounded habit in the pot.
    If you had 20, you're probably still planting!! How are they doing and did they grow taller for you this season?

• jderosa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was able to plant them all the day I got them. It only took a couple of hours, and now I have a great hedge of them. They won't grow any taller or bigger this year. They are NOT tree peonies. I expect them to look fine next spring, but they should really come into their own in another year.

I planted them along my property, next to my neighbors driveway. This part of my garden is only 4' wide (from the house to his driveway), and had a privit hadge there for years. It was always too tall, and always looked like it could use a trim. The peonies will look much better, and they won't trap all the dead leaves over the winter like the hedge did. And I'll get a great show of flowers.

The area gets sun most of the day, with a couple of hours break at noon-ish. The plants have all adjusted well after being transplanted, and none have shown ANY signs of distress.

Joe 'waiting for a fantabolous show in spring' DeRosa

• ego45
    18 years ago

Except this thread I can't find much info about peony, but name sound so familiar...
    I think I remeber it from the book(s) about English gardens and it well could be a heirloom peony that somehow fell out of fashion in nova days.
    Nevertheless, it just arrived to my local HD well grown, full of buds in 2.5G pot.
    Of course, I bought it. Worse come to worse, if I don't like it, I always could return it.
    One of the few advantages of HD. :-)

• ego45
    18 years ago

Was sorting my spring pictures and found that:

{{gwi:249915}}

Definitely a keeper.

• paeon_
    17 years ago

Hi,
    this seems to be a new trade name for the well-known chinese lactiflora 'Fen Yu Nu', also spelled Fen Yü Nü or Fen Yv Nv, some years ago the dutch trade brought them on the market under the name 'Dancing Butterflies'. It is widely grown in China for medicinal purposes. Really cheap from China in very large quantities available. Nothing new, just the advertisement ist new and the trade name.

• quiet_storm
    15 years ago

I bought one of these from a mail order company a few years ago for an excellent price (can't remember now which company). It was supposed to be a 12-15 eye plant, guaranteed to bloom the first year. It was an 8 eye plant, and did indeed bloom the first year, one blossom. I contacted the company and told them how disappointed I was in the plant, which also developed what I thought was powdery mildew, not uncommon on peonies. The company asked me not to return the plant, but to look through their catalog and pick out any plant(s) I wanted to replace it, up to what I had paid for the plant. I did, and also left Little Medicine Man where it was, hoping it would eventually live up to the hype. The following year I got a few more blooms, and an even worse case of powdery mildew, but decided to give it another chance. This year it bloomed profusely, but developed powdery mildew very early in the season. I removed all the foliage from the plant right after it bloomed, and treated the roots with a fungicide. I later discovered that it didn't have powdery mildew after all, but white mold, which from all I have read, is not curable. I dug and disposed of the plant this morning, and thank goodness, so far the mold has not spread to nearby plants. I don't know if Little Medicine Man is particularly susceptible to white mold, but I suspect it was infected when I bought it (which may be why I got such a good price on it), and that I am very fortunate that the disease has not spread.

• suel41452
    15 years ago

I have Dancing Butterflies (aka Little Medicine Man) and have no problem with mold or other diseases. It's unfortunate yours had it, probably came with it.
    I think it's a very beautiful flower - fuchsia with pretty yellow gold stamens & holds up well in rain & wind. No staking needed.

• lpalta
    15 years ago

I have had great luck with this peony but can't find the pea size seeds inside the pods. Pictures in my garden albums.

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshot Album

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

Not all pods have seeds.

• kimmiefred
    8 years ago

Would love to buy this peony-- anyone kind enough to tell where they are getting it please? My niece in law wouldn't share even though she had a bunch of them-- so now I want some just because she wouldn't! Thanks! Actually they are really pretty! They seemed like easy keepers too!

• evanskie
    7 years ago

@ jderosa(z6 NJ) - i'm considering growing peonies as a hedge along the driveway. Do you mind sharing a picture of your hedge? Thanks!

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional