Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replanting peony

Posted by allium_acres z6 MA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 9:34

I'm planning to move a peony to a sunnier spot this fall. Everything I've read on the web says that the new hole should be 2 feet wide and deep. Just thinking about digging a hole that big is exhausting! Is it really necessary? What can I get away with and still have a happy plant? Thanks for your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replanting peony

I've never actually dug a 2'X2' hole for any of my peonies but I plant in raised beds because the soil in my garden area is hard clay. If your peony has been in place for quite a while the rootball might be about that big anyway! Are you planning to divide it before replanting? Do you have good soil where you're planting?

o
RE: Replanting peony

Mulch a spot like crazy right now. A foot deep. Wait as late as possible to transplant, then loosen the soil as deep as possible, dig a small trench, put in the peony roots, and cover them with heavily composted soil to an inch deep. Then add another foot of loose mulch on top until spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here