Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebbie

Micropropagation - Bartzella

gardenwebbie
17 years ago

Thinking about buying one from Planteck. Quite cheap, I thought... less than $80. But I am not so sure because it was micropropagated. Heard that the process may cause gene mutation and the resulting plants may not have similar characteristics as their parent.

Anyone has an insight or two about this? I need your help to decide whether or not to buy from Planteck.

Regards...

Comments (5)

• azngrnthumbs
    17 years ago

I'm glad to see that they've made advances in micropropagating these plants, but I'm a bit skeptical about what they're offering.

For the price they are selling these plants, you get a one year old plant that will likely bloom in 2-4 years. In some ways, it's kind of the same as paying $100-200 for a mature blooming size division which the grower can guarantee that it's really 'Bartzella'. For a one year old tissue culture, you can expect to get the same clone, but plants can do odd things in vitro so growers have to cull these plants when in bloom to insure that the consumer is getting what they really order. I just don't feel like Planteck is willing to go that length.

Just my thoughts,

Riz

• gardenwebbie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What exactly do you mean by 'a mature blooming size division'? Bare root with a few eyes or actual growing plants with stems and ready for bloom at anytime?

If you meant the latter, I don't mind paying $100-200. But which grower sells that?

I have not found any in Canada. Select Plus in Quebec charges $84 for a plant division with 1 to 2 eyes --- I thought a good division should have 3 to 5 eyes, no!?

Then there is http://www.thimblefarms.com that sells one for $225 --- it's a plant that they say may bloom in a year and they don't tell how many eyes or stems it has --- a 'small plant' is all they told me. But with the price of $225, I though I should get more. Maybe not.

Anyone knows where to get a Bartzella priced reasonably?

• User
    17 years ago

Since the best time to plant is the fall,NH, spring,SH, you won't find one in a pot ready to bloom at those times of the year.

• gardenwebbie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am not looking for one that's ready to bloom... Sorry if I misstated that. I am looking for a healthy (mature) plant with more than just one or a couple of stems.

Do you think it's OK by the way to purchase a bare root with one or two eyes? I thought that's a bit of a push. Will probably take some time before it produces any flower. A good division, I read, should have 3 to 5 eyes at least. No!?

• azngrnthumbs
    17 years ago

"Mature Blooming Size Division" is a division of a plant that is capable of blooming the following spring after planting.

The number of eyes doesn't necessarily mean much. I've flowered peonies that have one large fat eye.

With any peony, it takes a few years for a plant to properly establish and consistenly bloom for you regardless of the size of plant you start with.

With the difficulty of propagation and it's slow growth, you won't find this variety for a "reasonable" price.

I'd invest the money to purchase a division (doesn't matter how many eyes) rather than a tissue cultured plant.

Good luck!

Riz

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting