Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Several questions from a newbie

joannemb
12 years ago

I am new to peonies but would like to plant a couple to have for cutting.

Several sites offer peonies that do not require staking.... (Casablanca for one) Have you found this really to be true, or do they all pretty much need to be staked?

If you were to choose between Casablanca or Bowl of Cream as a white, which would you choose and why?

Also, looking for a PALE pink with a double flower. Can anyone recommend a reliable one with strong stems?

Lastly, I was reading somewhere that when you cut flowers off tree peonies you must only cut them a couple of inches in length because you don't want to cut off next years buds. Is this true for herbacious peonies as well?

Finally, (ok---sorry--I lied with the lastly) Morning sun, afternoon sun..... does it matter?

Thanks so much!

Joanne

Comments (7)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

IMO the heavy doubles often do need to be corraled in a peony cage at least but many of the semi doubles and singles do not simply because the flowers are not as heavy. Some of the older whites are absolutely beautiful, have fairly strong stems and are scented too. Elsa Sass and Mrs E Harding come to mind. Marshmellow Puff also. As for pinks, I like The Nathans and Bouchela for their color and strong stems.

Herbaceous peonies die back to the ground in winter and are therefore not dependent on their branches for bud development so, not true.

Peonies prefer full sun all day but will do better with morning sun with some late afternoon shade as opposed to afternoon sun. Colors are usually richer in filtered sun and on cooler days.

That's what I can tell you . I have over 200 cultivars in a zone 3a garden and yard. Hope this helps. :)
    ~Ginny

12 years ago

Carnation Bouquet and Bev are 2 more pinks I find good for landscaping; strong stems.~Ginny

• joannemb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for all of the information! I started shopping around and have another question....
    Is it better to get a peony plant or buy it bare root? I ask because a site called Gilbert wild and sons (decent reviews on Dave's garden) is selling peonies for $10 so I'm assuming they are roots. If I plan on planting this fall, is there a benefit to going to the garden store and paying more for a plant rather than planting the root? Will it mean a bigger plant in the Spring?

Thanks so much!

12 years ago

IMO it is better to plant bare root in the fall so that the plant puts its energy into developing new roots through the fall and conserves energy over the winter so it has the energy to send up shoots in the spring. As long as you have at the very least 2 eyes on the root and do not cover the eyes with more than 1.5 inches of soil, you should see new sprouts in the spring. Of course, I am speaking from a Canadian Zone 3 perspective. Peonies love it here. What zone are you planting in? ~ Ginny

• joannemb
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am in zone 5--Cleveland.
    Many sites say to plant the bare roots 2 ft. apart but plants 3 foot. 2 ft. seems close.... Is that really what I should do with the bare roots? Thanks again---you've been so helpful!

• maifleur01
    12 years ago

Depending on cultivar 4 feet is best. If you plant dark reds place so they have shade most of the afternoon.

12 years ago

I have planted many 2 feet apart but with all intention of moving them to their permanent home. It doesn't take them long to fill in . I like to have some space between so I can tend to them and/or dig them out to move. Peonies don't much like to be moved but if you do it with a lot of soil they are pretty tough and don't take as long to get established in their new place.