Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peony Questions???

Posted by jackz411 4b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 10:26

I have 5 peony bushes about 12 years old and they now grow about 3 ft high and wide and produce about 2 dozen lovely flowers per plant.

1. After they bloom and the flowers are gone: What difference is it if I cut it back or if I let the green foliage continue growing? I like a more compact bush for the following year.

2. Each plant has maybe 20 stalks coming out of the ground: When and how is the best way to divide them?

Thanks, JK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peony Questions???

Peonies are quite attractive during the summer after the bloom is gone. If you want a smaller plant or a more shapely one, trim it to suit. You will take away some of the energy being stored in the roots for next year, but I think it will not matter. Next year your plants will grow as large as they did this year. If you want to divide it is better to wait until fall and the cooling weather. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here