Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about Chinese Tree Peony

Posted by saswein z7 Long Island (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 07 at 11:03

Hello,

I just received a gift of a Red Chinese Tree Peony. It arrived in a box (National Arbor Day Foundation), but has no information about it or on the website.

I know that it is best to plant trees during the fall, but I am not sure about what to do with it at this time of year. It is in a box and is a bare stem with roots wrapped in plastic. Should I plant it now? Can it go in a pot? How much sun is best?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about Chinese Tree Peony

As it is bare root, definitely get it in the ground now. Just make sure to mulch it well & keep it well watered. You might also want to give it some temporary extra shade, such as an overturned laundry basket or a market umbrella. It is strange that you would be sent a bare root plant with no leaves at this time of year.

o
RE: Questions about Chinese Tree Peony

My suggestion is soak in vitamin b/ root transplant stimulator and pot it up in a peat/potting soil mixes and keep it in the shade until the fall. It is too hot to be planting peonies bare root now especially if it does not have feeder roots.

Best,

L.T. TRAN
www.thepeonystore.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here