Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natrldsastr_gw

EXTREME frustration, mislabeling, need reliable supplier

natrldsastr
18 years ago

My peonies are blooming quite nicely, in a reasonable time frame for when they were planted. The problem is out of 4 plants blooming NOT ONE is the variety they are supposed to be! I believe most of them were from Jung originally, and I can understand some variation in color due to soil type etc. But Sword Dance, and Red charm are all a very bright fuchsia pink. Yech. (don't want pink)

Could someone please recommend a reputable supplier? I am so tired of paying good money, waiting years and being disapointed.

TIA-JoAnne

Comments (7)

• paion
    18 years ago

Check the Garden Watchdog for other peoples experience. Both www.songsparrow.com and www.hollingsworthpeonies.com are good nurseries.

• maifleur01
    18 years ago

Hollingsworth's tries to leave a mature bloom bud on each root. Don Hollingsworth said it was so buyer would know the first year that they have received the correct plant. He felt that it was important to have the customer know they did receive the correct cultivar the first year so any problems could be handled then rather than 4 years latter.

• natrldsastr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanx all, think I'm one of those who got caught in Jung's downfall. Previous years have always been good w/ them.

JoAnne

• ywilliam
    18 years ago

I found this terrific nursery on the web that sends "Monster" peony divisions when you order from them. Their motto is to "make an instant impact in your garden", rather than wait 2 or 3 years to see a bloom. They are Scott and Elizabeth Reath of Reath's Nursery at www.reathsnursery.com. The contact is 906.563.9777. In fact, Scott's father, David Reath, hybridized one of a few, the very rare" Lemon Chiffon" before he died in 1995, priced at $380. And, itÂs gorgeous! All of theirs are true to their name.

I swear to you, the roots are as if they sent the entire plant to you! There's 3 different sizes and prices to choose from for each peony named. I ordered a few peonies just this past Monday via fax, and I received them today (this Wednesday evening here in Alaska!) on my door step by UPS, because they cared about the snow coming in soon. Now that's service!! I promised them that because of the wonderful service I received that I would make every local master gardener aware of their website. They even ship through November until "their" ground freezes! How can you beat that!

I only wish I'd found them 4 years ago! Of course, we have snow by November but, you can always pot them up and put them in a cold place. I can assure you all that their services and divisions are certainly worth any money spent!!!!!! Please make all my sisters and brothers of gardening aware. Please check out the website guys!

• madspinner
    18 years ago

ywilliam - hey, you only need to post stuff like that once... you are starting to sound a lot like an advertisement for these folks. It's great to be enthusiastic about a supplier, but another to post the same (word for word) endorsment in at least 3 messages on the same forum.

We get the idea.

• ywilliam
    18 years ago

Well, not everyone in interested in the same question or problem. I am advertising for them because they are a great source. I apologize if it was a bit much for you madspinner. Freedom of speech I suppose. What can a few words hurt?

• Kate2
    18 years ago

I can't recommend a source as I use several, but I would recommend sticking to one who specializes in peonies. You might pay a little more, but you will get generally get what you order. Attached is a picture of Sword Dance in my yard - she is definately not pink.