Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommend another with fragrance!

Posted by michael_in_chicago z5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 12:21

I have 3 peonies that I purchased for the fragrance first, and their shrubby form in the garden second. Festiva Maxima is nice, but not the overwhelming fruity-sweet old-peony scent I grew up with, and its foliage is a little coarser than I really like. Sara Bernhardt was recommended as a pink, but unless it's mismarked, I get very little from it in terms of fragrance.

Divisions of my parent's still-unnamed pink peony is the only one that yields overwhelming perfume every spring. I'm ditching SB and replacing it. I don't mind peony rings, because I'm after fragrance, which seems to come with big, floppy blooms.

Please recommend!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommend another with fragrance!

I love the soft, sweet fragrance of 'Vivid Rose.' But I found that this year the scent was quite faint - I think due to all the rain. The past two years it has been heavenly. But it's all a matter of taste.

I've been told that Duchess de Nemours is very fragrant.

Good luck in your search.
Judye

o

Thanks! I believe my Mom's peony is a Vivid Rose, but D d N is new to me; I'll look into it. Others?

o

Just looking at the Countryman's Peony Farm list of available peonies for this year, here's what they say is fragrant (when asked, they also say that fragrance is a very personal thing):

Avalanche (white, double, late)
Duchess de Nemours (white, double, early)- very fragrant
MME. de Verneville (white, bomb, late)
Norma Volz (blush w.yellow & pink highlights, double, mid season to late)
Sarah Bernhardt (rose pink, double, late)

Hope this helps.
Judye

o

Thanks! I wonder if I got a non-Sarah Bernhardt.

o

Could be, Michael. My Sarah Bernhardt smells great. 'Raspberry Sundae' is another of my favorites for fragrance and as a bonus, it's gorgeous and sturdy.
Brenda

o

'Philippe Rivoire' and 'Amalia Olson' have a great old-rose perfume. PR is a dark crimson double, and AO is a pure white double.

Laurel

o

My Sarah Bernhardts (all five of them) have wonderful fragrance --they are about 4 years old now and this year, these plants look fantastic.

Vicki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here