Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diseased peony

Posted by Digginlife 6nyc (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 12:45

I just planted this peony this year. Basically the whole plant is diseased...Can I cut it to the ground or spray with something? thanks for info tips

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diseased peony

I don't know that it is a disease. I would like more details of how it was planted, and what it looked like coming out of the pot. How it has been watered since planting. Al

o

I've had similar burned looking leaves on peonies that I accidentally planted too deep, although they typically start shriveling, too. I dug them and replanted higher in the fall and they were fine the next spring. Could yours be the same thing or are they actually diseased rather than stressed?

o

It was fine when I planted it and it had several blooms.There were alot of small buds that turned black and didnt bloom. I bottom water... Weve been getting a lot of rain here in Ny lately..I havent mulched yet ...or fertilized since planting ..I think I added store bought compost and some ocemote when I planted...Ill double check but I think I planted at correct depth ...hmmm

o

I do not often buy a blooming peony, but when I have they have been terribly root bound in the pot. In which case I am faced with keeping it in the pot and watering everyday just to keep it alive, or planting in the ground, scoring the rootball as much as possible and watching it suffer the stress, much as yours has. In the fall I dug them up and divided to replant a reasonably good plant. The small divisions saved did not survive in the spring. A big blooming peony at a reasonable price is not always a bargain. Al

o

If you planted this year why not just return it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here