Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanted sarah bernhardt wilting

Posted by bonfleur Idaho (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 13:03

Two months ago, I purchased from Costco a Sarah Bernhardt & a Raspberry Sundae peony bush. The soil here has a lot of clay so I prepared the soil with lots of Miracle Grow, gypsum, & compost. Once planted, I layered mulch. The spot where I planted them was in front of our house & gets direct sun the entire day. Within a month, the Raspberry Sundae shriveled & had brown spots on every leaf & ceased growing. I was concerned about fungus from too much watering or other contagious diseases I decided to cut my loss & pulled it up. The Bernhardt also started showing brown spots but was growing & had buds. Now, it stopped growing, the buds blackened, & the leaves are wilting. I sterilized my clippers & removed all dead buds & browning leaves. It seemed to be doing better but now the leaves & stems are wilting. I'm concerned that the direct sun & extreme heat we're having is killing it. I don't know what else to do. Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanted sarah bernhardt wilting

I am sorry to hear about your peonies. When you dig up the Raspberry Sundae plant, what was the condition of the tubers? Was it all shrivel, dried, or mushy? If the tubers are firm, I think they may just go through early dormancy. In this case, they are ok and they will grow back next year. I think your best bet for the Sarah Bernhardt peony is to leave it alone, let the leaves die back on its own and hope for the best next year. If you are curious to see if your plant is alive or dead, you can dig it up in October and if it is alive, there should be new eyes formed on the tuber for next spring. For now, just keep it well mulched or grow some annuals that will shade the spot where the peony was planted. Good luck!

o

You have just provided a reason for not planting in the dead of summer, especially during the current heat wave. Provide sarah with some badly needed shade until it gets established in your soil. Al

o

What would be the best method to shade the peony plant? Our home is newly constructed & there's nothing to shield it. Thank you.

o

What would be the best method to shade the peony plant? Our home is newly constructed & there's nothing to shield it. Thank you.

o

o

o

If your peony is in a very visible place and you want the shade to be attractive you should look at the Umbrellas for Peonies post on page 3. You could always rig a shade cloth with the green T-posts, though, if you don't need it to be pretty!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here