Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can my peony fungus spread to other species of plants?

Posted by MaxineHeather z5 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 05 at 13:40

I have a peony that came with my house with some kind of nasty fungus- it causes curly leaves, brown spots on the leaves and stem- but the flowers still bloom beautifully, and although the fungus was there last year too, the plant still came back as big and with as many nice blooms. I don't have any other peonies, but I was wondering if the fungus can spread to my other flowers, trees, or vegetables? If so I'll dig it out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can my peony fungus spread to other species of plants?

When it comes to the late-season nastiness of peony leaves, not as far as I know.

o
RE: can my peony fungus spread to other species of plants?

Some peonies seem to come by the fungus more easily than others. It should not spread to your other plants. You should do two things.

This fall after frost cut the stems down. I leave about three inches of stem above ground as it seems to prevent root rot. The idea as I understand it is a stem cut off close to the root will act as a wick for moisture to enter the plant.

Try and give the plants more air. Keep the surrounding plants low or away from base of the leaves. Less stagnate air less moisture collects on the stems and leaves which provides a better place for the fungus to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here