Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bubbatoes

peony transplant in July

bubbatoes
13 years ago

I would like to transplant several large peonies from the lot of a home my parents have up for sale to my own yard. Since the home is for sale, I need to transplant now even though it is not the ideal time. The plants have finished blooming. I am uncertain, based on other posts I've read, whether I would be better off to try to dig these plants up with a large root ball and transplant, or whether I should divide them. Also, is it better to water them well before digging? If divided, is it best to let them dry a bit before transplanting? Should I fertilize after transplanting? etc. I am a fairly inexperienced gardener so the more specific and thorough the response the better.

Thank you!

Comments (3)

• marquest
    13 years ago

I asked the same question on another forum last year. It is pretty slow over here so I will tell you what I was told.

Peony do not have deep roots so it should be easy to dig up. Try to get as much of the root and soil so it does not know it has been moved. Plant right away.

As I do all transplants if I am digging at a bad time I do not divide until the plant is strong enough to live through the move. I would not divide until it has grown in its new home for at least two growing seasons.

Peonies like a good chill in the winter. In order to set their flower buds, peony roots should be planted relatively close to the soil surface; only about 2-3 inches deep. It may feel odd to leave roots so exposed, but peonies actually need this chilling to attain dormancy and set buds.

• darlenes-2010
    13 years ago

Thanks for asking and answering this question. My two peonies aren't doing well at all. They are up against a wooden fence. I am going to transplant them in the fall. I didn't realize they could be transplanted so shallow.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Large old peonies are going to have large old roots. Peonies grow large storage roots that look like sweet potatoes. When dug up they are brittle and easily break off. Normally when you are going to dig and divide in the fall when no foliage is on the plant, it is recommended that after digging you let the roots lie on the ground for a day or two to cause the roots to relax and lose the brittleness before dividing. Digging in July I would not divide now but replant as is with as little root disturbance as possible. For most soil textures this will mean soaking a day or two before digging. I would not fertilize now and plan on digging and dividing in the fall. Doing this will result in the least loss and the most possible divisions. Although the top of the roots are very close to the soil surface, the roots themselves can easily be two or more feet deep. Al

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus