Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting back after bloom?

Posted by sammymommy WA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 6, 08 at 14:02

Hi, my herbaceous peonies have bloomed, and the petals have all fallen off. Should I leave the leaves/foliage for the rest of the summer/fall? I'm imagining the answer is yes, but I'd love to be able to clean up the area a bit -- the stems are tall and flopping on nearby plants.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting back after bloom?

I've never cut mine back other than the spent bloom so they don't set seed pods. The foliage stays clean for the rest of the season and I'll cut them down when I do my fall clean up. However, mine are in hoops which keeps the foliage upright and nicely contained.

But if one cuts peonies for floral arrangements, etc - I cannot imagine cutting back some of the foliage as well would do great harm.

o

Definitely do not cut them down completely. Not only will that weaken the plant which uses its leaves all summer to store energy for next year, but some peonies turn nice colors in the fall.

If the plant is large, healthy, and well-established, you could shorten it a bit with no harm done. Younger plants need all their leaves.

On my huge plants, I cut off the flower stalks by reaching down below the rest of the foliage, so the stumps don't stick up above the bushy mass. My plants are also in hoops, so they stay upright, but it is not too late to tie them up loosely with string. Without the flowers to get wet and heavy and topple over, it doesn't take much support to keep the stems upright and they will look better.

o

I'm very fond of how busy and green my peonies are after they've bloomed. Unless they get all mildewy, they are wonderfully lush until...well, now, fall. I leave them gently fenced up so they don't get too floppy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here