Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Peony Root Stock

Posted by Edward_Kimball Zone 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 05 at 15:09

I have a tree peony that is blooming for the first time this year but in addition to the main tree another stock came up with a wonderful bloom. Is there any way of tracking down the type of peony the root came from because I would love to have it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Peony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Peony Root Stock

Tree peonies are usually grafted onto herbaceous peony roots. If the root stock is flowering, you probably didn't plant the tree peony deep enough when you orignally planted it...not a big deal, just results in the rootstock flowering. As for the variety, it's probably P. lactiflora, likely an un-named variety or even the species. A tree peony propagator might shed some light on what rootstocks they most commonly use?

Simon

o

Thanks Simon. Another "problem" with this tree peony is that it is supposed to be Kinkaku. The yellow blooms look nothing like it. Anyone have an idea what I really have?

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Peony 2

o

Edward,
You're right. That does not look like Kinkaku(Souvenir de Maxime Cornu). But it still could be. If this is the first bloom the plant had it could be not typical of how it should and will look. If it is Kinkaku the bloom bud would generally develop just outside of the foliage and generally to the side of the plant. But as the flower opened it should have turned downward and ended up in the center of the plant. It can't be seen without manually moving the blossome to lift it. Kinkaku is probably the worse of the lot to do this. If it is not Kinkaku then I could be Alice Harding or Chromatella. These three tree peonies are the most prevalent of the cheaper yellow tree peonies.

o

PeonyMan, here is a picture of the second, and last bloom for this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kinkaku?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here