Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisbetty

Garden design -- of just peonies.

thisbetty
10 years ago

How do you arrange your peonies in your garden?

Separate bed? -- Mixed in with perrs. & bulbs?
Long beautiful rows of a single variety?
Groups mixed in?

What about bloom schedule? All E & EM, etc?
How do you mix the colors? tints/shades within a color?

Does the declining foliage of the hybrids present a problem?
I have never tries to conceal it with other plants - and I probably cut them back a little early. One of the online nurseries notes varieties with esp. long lasting attractive foliage. Just a few:
Eskimo Pie, Gardenia, Shirley Temple,
Krld. White, Princess Bride.

Avant Gardner ant Tracy DiSabato-Aust list good foliage for:
Nice Gal, Mister(aka Mr.) Ed, Snow Swan,
Old Faithful.
(Americanpeonysociety.org also list cultivars)
She further says that Nice Gal, Vivid Rose, and The Bridal Series are exs. of lower plants that do not generally require staking,
I am an old old gardener who has simply found a place where ever available. Long ago I could only find peonies sole by color alone - but that is not an excuse.. Now I plan to do better by my lovely peonies. (I do love a plant that a vole declines.).

Well, this has gone on for far too long, but I truly want to hear
your methods -- The whys - the therefores.

Comments (4)

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

I am a terrible garden planner--I just plunk my new purchases in where ever I have space and then plant around them when I see something is needed. Most of my beds look like a big mistake for 2-3 years while I fix my mistakes!

I think the prettiest beds have several different bloom types and times, that's what I'm striving for now. My problem is the several weeks just after the peonies finish blooming and before the penstemons, agastaches and daylilies start blooming--I have a sea of green with no blooms. Any ideas on what would be good then? Roses jump to mind but the deer won't leave them alone, have tried it!
    I don't think the peony foliage is a problem after they stop blooming. As long as we don't have a big hail storm and I cut off the spent blooms (oops, lazy gardener again!) I think the peony shrubs are pretty, too. Here in the high desert, anything that stays green and lush looking is a good thing!

I also like the peonies that don't have to be staked. Most of the singles and semi-doubles are good that way. The corals that I have are unique looking and stand up nicely--Coral N Gold, Coral Sunset, Coral Supreme and Coral Charm. If you like the look of the cactus-style blooms, Circus Circus and Raspberry Rumba stand up nicely, too. I just re-ordered Bric A Brac, it has the look of a parrot tulip bloom. Haven't seen that one in person but have heard it's very pretty and unusual, should also stand up well due to the size of the bloom.

I also ordered a few doubles this spring that specifically said no staking required in the description for fall, I'll try to remember to say how they do if they bloom next spring.
    As far as mixing colors, the only thing that really blooms in my beds at the same time as peonies are Rocky Mtn Blue Penstemons and they look good with every peony color. Blue seems to be a good foil for peonies, several people recommended false indigo, think I'll add that this fall. Most of my peonies are shades of pink and whites with a few reds and I deliberately mix in colors so I don't have big chunks of a single shade. The only ones I take care with are the corals, they clash a bit with the pinks and reds so they're further away from the other colors. I try to mix in perennials that have different forms to break up the sea of peonies, have only been marginally successful so far, though! I'll keep trying! In my mind, if they look pretty and festive together cut in a vase then they should look nice planted together....at least in my mind.....

I've seen plenty of pictures of various gardens on this and the perennials forum, single colors and themed beds, absolutely beautiful. I just don't have the discipline.

• ryseryse_2004
    10 years ago

I have my peonies surrounded by daylilies and variegated sedum so I have color all season. Also, I have Japanese Iris here and there.

I try to have the peonies where taller perennials won't overtake them after the peonies have bloomed. You want your peonies to get enough sun and air to make good roots.

• thisbetty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much - I apologize for dropping out.

I have the same problem with the after peony/with peony bloom.
    Magazines call for Sib. iris, dutch iris. I have Salvia Blue Hill -e. bloomer for me and phlox Miss Lingard, achillea Summer Wine, baptisias Purple Smoke and Blueberry Sundae (this is new & should be more compact with more spikes), Some old red Asiatic lilies bloom very early.
    The only things I can absolute rely on at that time are tall blue, lilac, white, and pink larkspur. Also Sweet rocket. Larkspur and sweet rocket (hesperis), armeria pendula, silene oriental, nigella d., all reseed faithfully here.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    10 years ago

Back in the good old days, most peony growers planted in rows. And, the diehards planted nothing but peonies.

I mix my colors and I mix the heights, that is just my personal taste. I have iris in front so that there is nice bed that shows about the same time. I don't mind the peony bushes looking green and stuff after they have bloomed and my iris are supposed to be re-bloomers (not recently though). Behind all this, I have swamp milkweed for some later in the season height.

And, I do plant in rows, it is easier for me to tend the plants. This garden is for me and I'll keep things in a way that is convenient for me.

Jim

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida