Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cdjr_gw

Online Source for Potted Peonies

cdjr
17 years ago

Klehm's Song Sparrow site says that three to five eye bareroot peonies will take 10 to 12 years to reach maturity.Since I'm almost 70 that is not really encouraging.

Are there any online mail-order sites that will ship more mature potted plants? Or lacking that, any sites that sell larger bare-roots?

The selection in local nurseries is VERY limited, and I've seen many very attractive peonies on the sites I've visited.

Thanks for any insights!

Comments (13)

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

Don't worry about buying bare root. 3 to 5 eye plants will provide plenty of bloom. What I think they ment to say was that the height and width would be at it's fullest in 10 to 15 years. I have some cultivars that have made a 3 ft clump in less than two years and some that have only a few shoots at 8 years. Look for the phrase "vigorous grower"

Klehm's have nice peonies but to assure that you will get at least one bloom try Don Hollingsworth in Maryville Missouri. He tries to include one bloom size bud on each root he sells. He tells me that he would rather know next spring if there is a problem rather than a couple of years from now.

Adelman's and A & D sell nice roots but without the promise of Don's.

Now if you want a nice tree peony it may not bloom for several years but most herbaceous will bloom the second year unless planted too deep.

If you would put your city and state I might be able to give you a name of a nursery closer to you that you could visit next spring to pick out what you would really like to have.

• cdjr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your response! Very helpful.

I called Don Hollingsworth today and we talked for quite awhile. He may be able to help with offering some larger plant material than usual. It looks promising.

He also recommended an old southern Ohio peony farm he had visited several years ago. It's no longer in operation, but the present owners of the property will sell the plants. Surprised me when he mentioned the name, it's here in my hometown. I used to go there with my parents when I was a child to buy cut peonies for the cemetaries on Memorial Day.
    Small world.

• cdjr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, forgot to say that I'm in Chillicothe, Ohio.

Any other leads will be greatly appreciated.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    17 years ago

I intend to garden till I am composted. Nearing 80 does not discorage me from buying bareroot peonies. I think having something to look forward to, is an aid to living longer. Al

• ego45
    17 years ago

"I intend to garden till I am composted."

LOL. LOL. LOL.
    I think I'm going to use this expression very often.

• shamrockgal
    17 years ago

I agree with ego45, that line "I intend to garden 'till I am composted" is one to remember!! Good for you, Calistoga. I am also a senior going on 35 and can't dig the cannas or anything else. I was hoping to plant Peonies in large containers, but was advised against it because of their root system. Peonies are marvelous cut flowers, lasting a long time in a vase and add a lovely bright spot. I wonder if I divide them often, they would work in the containers. What do you think?

• jmrf
    17 years ago

I am interested in more info on the peony plant farm near Chillicothe, Ohio. I am searching for an heirloom peony for a historical garden I volunteer in near Dayton, Ohio.
    I have heard of a peony farm near there but cannot find contact info through the usual sources.
    The time frame I am looking for is 1800-1830.
    Thanks.

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

Jmrf, the only grower I could find in Ohio was Alexander but he was not until after your time frame. Are you certain about 1800-1830? Any names of peonies that you have?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Jmrf,

Have you thought of researching what varieties might fit the time period, and then proceed trying to find them?

Here is a link that might be useful: EDULIS SUPERBA (Lemon 1824)

• jmrf
    17 years ago

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I am looking for a fernleaf peony. The cabins are 1806 and 1826. We want the new plants to be from that time frame. The 1806 cabin owner came from Maryland to Ohio. We visited Adena gardens last year. We were told of a peony plant farm in the area. We have tried to
    locate it and have had no sucess. We would like to see the plant and get information on it before we plant it. We like to visit garden centers and the road trips that go along with it. So we would like to find a source in Ohio.
    Thanks again.

• chinesetreepeony.com
    17 years ago

Hello,

We have some very large plants that we potted up for shows. Many of these plants are 7 to 8 years old. Herbaceous peonies have 10 to 15 eyes. Tree peonies have similar number of branches. These are available for pick up in special pots in the spring. We do ship them, however, only in the fall.

Best,

L.T
    www.chinesetreepeony.com

• clgchi77
    15 years ago

I live in Chicago and just bought a beautiful peony bush and planted it in a big pot. Two buds were open and two eyes looked ready to open when I planted it. Now it's 3 weeks later and the open buds are either brown & withered or completely gone, the eyes don't look promising. What am I doing wrong? It's in a huge pot with new soil, I water it daily and it gets lots of sun. Help!

• ywilliam
    15 years ago

Reath's nurseries have extremely large bareroots but I'm not sure if they have potted ones. Their catalogs are $3 unfortunately. Good luck!