Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange Growth on Yellow Tree Peony

Posted by Betty1822 z6Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 15:43

This tree peony is several years old. I read that sometimes the original plant which the tree peony is grafted to will start to grow and overtake the graft. A while back I noticed leaves that were a lot smaller and looked different than the rest so I removed that growth. Now I have huge leaves and I mean huge that are growing from the base of the tree peony stem. What is happening? Is this also the original plant and should I remove it or should I just wait and see what happens. The two new growths were so different from each other and different from the tree peony that I'm totally confused.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange Growth on Yellow Tree Peony

It's hard to tell which leaves are which from your description, but you're right, the leaves from below the graft can come up and look different. If the plant is younger or gets set back the leaves look different, too, since the leaves from the mature or healthy plant are often finer. It could be that the new growth is larger from being set back by your removal of the original growth, but whether that growth was from the nurse root or the tree peony is hard to say without seeing it. You could post photos of the different leaves to help make it easier. The link is an example of a yellow tree peony with a photo of its leaves, but it may not match exactly since each peony has subtle differences in leaves.

tagzone5

Here is a link that might be useful: Alice Harding peony

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here