Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing peonies, need suggestion..

Posted by fgilles02420 z6 MA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 07 at 15:49

Hello,
I know the conventional wisdom is to divide peonies in September. However should I divide them this fall if I plan to dig them up again and pot them for sale next spring? (I sell at a local plant sale). I'm not sure if it's a good idea to disturb them twice. They have been in place since 1994 and have always bloomed very well so I believe they are in good health. Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing peonies, need suggestion..

Save yourself work. Pot them as you dig them. Then they may be sprouting in the pots ready for the new buyer.

o

Hi,
Do you mean divide and pot them in the fall, then sink the pots into the ground? I live in zone 5/6 so everything above ground will freeze totally solid - wasn't sure how that would affect viability.

o

You can sink in ground but you can also do the take a couple of straw bales or anything you might have to make a low wall. Put the pots in next to each other and cover with leaves. Borrow your neighbors. I would not put a tarp on top but if you have a critter problem you can use any open weave material or just tree and brush branches to hold the leaves in place. After the first couple of rains the top will stop blowing away. If you have extra money you could cover the whole thing in straw.

Go the library or look on line on how pioneers made root or vegetable bins or cellers and you may have a better idea what I am talking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here