Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

Moving Peonies?

cfmuehling
18 years ago

Hi all!

I'm a recent convert to the beauty and color of peonies. My friend insisted and I'm glad she did. I am LOVING my gorgeous red peonies. :)

However, I determined two are in a place that don't show their glory well enough. They've both bloomed and aren't putting out any more buds.

When may I safely move them and are there FAQs I should read beforehand? How may I most successfully rehome them so they're the showpieces of my Spring garden?

Thanks,

Christine

Comments (7)

• flowerluvr
    18 years ago

While I've never killed a peony by moving it at any time of the season, they do prefer to do it in the fall. The foliage usually looks pretty rough by the end of the season anyway, so I cut them back..then just dig em' up and replant them where I want them. If they're old plants, they can be divided then, also. But, it sounds like you're in the early stages of addiction, lol! Do you know what variety you have? Buckeye Belle is a really nice, dark red one-I just had the first bloom on it this spring, and fell in love.
    Make sure you have the eyes at the right depth when you replant them. You're in a warmer zone than I am, so I don't know for sure if you plant them the same depth as me. I plant them just an inch or so deep. Maybe someone a couple of zones south of me will chime in :)

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good advice.
    I'll probably wait because for the past 10 days we've been having an over 90 degree heat wave without rain. Everything is struggling, so I won't traumatize them if I don't have to.

I do know the varieties I have, but I'll have to run out and look. I'm into absolutely anything red and these really feed my soul! :) I'll hold on to the name 'Buckeye Belle' when I buy again. In the meanwhile, I'll check mine and let you know, because the two that did bloom (I have a couple of later bloomers that haven't yet) were fabulous!

I'll be back. Also to figure out how deep is correct. :)
    Thanks!
    Christine

• Dieter2NC
    18 years ago

Yes, fall is the time, and add lots of compost. I am on the edge of 7b/8a and I plant mine with the eyes at soil level. I also only grow the early bloomers because our summer sun burns up the blooms on the later varieties.

• cfmuehling
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think I'll wait then. Dieter2NC, we're probably in the same boat, weather-wise. I've already been at 85 degrees with 71% humidity since about 9:00 this morning. Awful.

I didn't think about the sun burning the blossoms on the peonies later. Hmmm... I'll have to pay attention. I know I can barely grow gaillardia and the new cone flower (I can't spell echinachea) like Meadowbrite and Art's Pride wilt on the stem before they even open to bloom. Depressing, since I have nothing remotely resembling "part shade" or "part sun." Plus, when things need full sun, they generally mean it.

I'm rambling. Thanks, guys, for the advice!
    Christine

• lynnt
    18 years ago

I'm the enabler here [grin!]
    Christine and I bought lots of red peonies from Gilbert Wilde's sale last summer -- including
    - Red Charm (1 for each of us)
    - Karl Rosenfeld (1 each)
    - Sword Dance
    - President Roosevelt
    - Paul M Wilde
    as well as Krinkled White, Bowl of Beauty, and Shirley Temple. I also bought Coral Charm from an area nursery, and had several unnamed white anemones and Kansas from before.

Did we do good for our first time out?

LynnT

• DianeKaryl
    18 years ago

Late August/early to mid September is time enough to move peony......but....before the move, examine your plants where their depth of the soil is.
    If this were a new tuber, you'd be told to plant it with the topmost bud (nodule) no more, no less, than 1 1/2" to 2" BELOW the soil.

Since your plant is doing fine.....and blooming, you want to not change its depth. Plant it exactly as it is planted now. When you plant it, do not topdress it....in the spring, do not topdress your peony.....because doing so would effectively put the plant deeper.

Chances are very good that once you make the move, your plant will not bloom in '06....put soil over the plant more than the desired depth, it may NEVER bloom.

That's peony for you.....they have this thing about resenting being moved. You would then look forward to seeing bloom return in '07.

• judyefd
    18 years ago

If you know already where you want to move your peonies to in the fall, prepare the soil in the area NOW by digging some compost into it. Add more in the hole when you actually do the transplant. Your peonies will thank you!

Enjoy!