Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help

Posted by ms.christie British Columbia (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 16:04

I have a tree peony that is leaning way over and can't hold itself up when in bloom...I believe it's because the herbaceous peony is grown too close and crowding it. I'm a brand new gardener and homeowner and I'm looking for any suggestions on how to fix this problem. Thanks:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help

That is most likely the herbaceous root stock sprouting from the nurse root of your tree peony which was likely not planted deep enough.

If you want to fix this, I would suggest pulling out all the herbaceous stems, then digging out the entire plant and planting it at least 1ft deeper. This can help prevent herbaceous sprouts from coming out, and it will give a chance for the woody tree peony part of the plant to produce its own roots which will eventually result in the tree peony growing independent from the nurse root. Your tree peony will decline in a few years if it doesn't produce its own roots. If you plant it deeper now, it should start growing some root hairs this fall, but it might take until the fall of 2013 to really produce a good root system.

I've attached a blog of exacly what I am talking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog from Cricket hill garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here