Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to order the best bare root peonies

Posted by NCcaroline 7B (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 19:33

I want to start a peony garden. Any recommendations for the best online place to purchase herbaceous bare root peonies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to order the best bare root peonies

I bought most of mine from Van Bourgendien at a very good deal. Some of them ended up dead on arrival, but they do follow through on their replacement policy so I was able to get all good plants at the end. Here's the link to where I bought many of them.

http://www.kvbwholesale.com/category/Peonies/a

If you don't mind waiting 4 or more years for flowers, you could bid on the 0.99 cent 20 seed auctions on eBay, and those seeds do germinate as long as they are planted properly requiring 1-2 seasons to sprout depending on how early you plant them.

I have actually done an entire gardening blog with the pictures and progress. You can decide for yourself whether or not VB is good, but I feel like I got a pretty good deal at around $12 per plant including the shipping, especially because I purchased 3 of each kind when it was late enough in spring for prices to start coming down.

This spring, I have also ordered many species of itoh peonies from an eBay seller known as Macao2000http://stevespeonygarden.blogspot.com/2012/06/1-year-old-tree-peonies-have-arrived.html#more

Here's the blog on their products: http://stevespeonygarden.blogspot.com/2012/05/unpacking-new-itoh-peonies.html#more

Raintree nursery also sells at a decent price for 1 gallon plants at 17.50 each as I purchased a few Tibetian tree peonies from them however the downside is that they are back ordered, and are not expected to ship until April.

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete Review of Van Bourgendien Tree peonies

o

Thanks for your info Steve.

o

I would recommend you to buy potted plants instead, so you can see their leaves. I bought some cheap bare root peonies, and they all turned out to be virussed.

o

Thanks wieslaw59, will consider plants instead of bare roots.

o

We are in same zone. I have been very happy with Kathy's bare roots. Always healthy & she is very knowledgeable & reputable. Give her a try, I don't think you'd be disappointed.
I visited her farm in full bloom, gorgeous!
Kathy (not the one with the farm. I have 8 peonies for now)

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony's envy

o

Many folks on here have a lot of peonies and may trade with you. I have around 132+ named peonies and know another lady on here that has around 80+ varieties. Try searching for a peony collector on the site. You will be surprised how many are willing to trade.

o

I've gotten a bunch from Van Engelen and been really happy with them. They were small the first year, but are steadily coming along. My biggest coup, though, was finding someone on Craigslist who wanted to give away all of her peonies and bleeding hearts. (Turned into a double score when I sent her home with a spirea and some hostas and pulmoneria).

Here is a link that might be useful: peonies

o

You might want to try Gilbert H. Wild and Son Co, www.gilberthwild.com. I've bought at least 40 peonies from them over the last 3 years, most have bloomed that next spring, and I've never had a bad plant from them. Their prices are pretty good and they offer free shipping for orders at or above $60.

o

May I add these great peony places to order from.

Hollingsworth
Adelman
Klehm's Song Sparrow
Buck Canyon
Bannister
Hidden Spring

o

I just started my peony garden and my first peony bartzella came from ebay. I compared the prices and this was the cheapest one :)($50) But I am very pleased, nice large root with 11 eyes. I also checked the above-mentioned nurseries, and most of them offer peonies at the prices way above I am willing to spend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here