Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nccaroline

Where to order the best bare root peonies

NCcaroline
11 years ago

I want to start a peony garden. Any recommendations for the best online place to purchase herbaceous bare root peonies.

Comments (30)

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

I bought most of mine from Van Bourgendien at a very good deal. Some of them ended up dead on arrival, but they do follow through on their replacement policy so I was able to get all good plants at the end. Here's the link to where I bought many of them.

http://www.kvbwholesale.com/category/Peonies/a

If you don't mind waiting 4 or more years for flowers, you could bid on the 0.99 cent 20 seed auctions on eBay, and those seeds do germinate as long as they are planted properly requiring 1-2 seasons to sprout depending on how early you plant them.

I have actually done an entire gardening blog with the pictures and progress. You can decide for yourself whether or not VB is good, but I feel like I got a pretty good deal at around $12 per plant including the shipping, especially because I purchased 3 of each kind when it was late enough in spring for prices to start coming down.

This spring, I have also ordered many species of itoh peonies from an eBay seller known as Macao2000http://stevespeonygarden.blogspot.com/2012/06/1-year-old-tree-peonies-have-arrived.html#more

Here's the blog on their products: http://stevespeonygarden.blogspot.com/2012/05/unpacking-new-itoh-peonies.html#more

Raintree nursery also sells at a decent price for 1 gallon plants at 17.50 each as I purchased a few Tibetian tree peonies from them however the downside is that they are back ordered, and are not expected to ship until April.

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete Review of Van Bourgendien Tree peonies

• NCcaroline
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your info Steve.

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

I would recommend you to buy potted plants instead, so you can see their leaves. I bought some cheap bare root peonies, and they all turned out to be virussed.

• NCcaroline
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks wieslaw59, will consider plants instead of bare roots.

• kathyr89
    11 years ago

We are in same zone. I have been very happy with Kathy's bare roots. Always healthy & she is very knowledgeable & reputable. Give her a try, I don't think you'd be disappointed.
    I visited her farm in full bloom, gorgeous!
    Kathy (not the one with the farm. I have 8 peonies for now)

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony's envy

• illinoisdoglover
    11 years ago

Many folks on here have a lot of peonies and may trade with you. I have around 132+ named peonies and know another lady on here that has around 80+ varieties. Try searching for a peony collector on the site. You will be surprised how many are willing to trade.

• rigelcaj
    11 years ago

I've gotten a bunch from Van Engelen and been really happy with them. They were small the first year, but are steadily coming along. My biggest coup, though, was finding someone on Craigslist who wanted to give away all of her peonies and bleeding hearts. (Turned into a double score when I sent her home with a spirea and some hostas and pulmoneria).

Here is a link that might be useful: peonies

• lizbest1
    11 years ago

You might want to try Gilbert H. Wild and Son Co, www.gilberthwild.com. I've bought at least 40 peonies from them over the last 3 years, most have bloomed that next spring, and I've never had a bad plant from them. Their prices are pretty good and they offer free shipping for orders at or above $60.

• lila888
    11 years ago

May I add these great peony places to order from.

Hollingsworth
    Adelman
    Klehm's Song Sparrow
    Buck Canyon
    Bannister
    Hidden Spring

• daniss
    11 years ago

I just started my peony garden and my first peony bartzella came from ebay. I compared the prices and this was the cheapest one :)($50) But I am very pleased, nice large root with 11 eyes. I also checked the above-mentioned nurseries, and most of them offer peonies at the prices way above I am willing to spend.

• princeton701
    7 years ago

i know this is an old post, but can anyone recommend an ebay person who sells tree peonies?

• stevelau1911
    7 years ago

Try getting some from aliexpress. They are not always reliable suppliers, but some may be worth the gamble. I imported about 500 tree peonies and have sold them over the past 4 years, and got the big import from China. It is worth it to get an import license and just buy it straight from China if you want to get a nice collection going.

you can see some of my peonies at steve's peony garden.

• Kristen Hallock
    7 years ago

I've had excellent luck with Adelman Peonies. Every bare root I have planted in the fall has resulted in flowers the next spring.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Hi everyone I love Adelman but they dont have what Im looking for, have anybody order peony from A&D nursery? Do they have a good peony?Thanks.

• maifleur01
    7 years ago

Stating what you are looking for will help directing you to a source.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Maifleur,

Im in Kansas and Im looking for Cora Stub peony , thanks

• maifleur01
    7 years ago

No wonder you have not found it. The name is Cora Stubbs not Cora Stub. If you type the name in you will find a few places that have it. Hollingsworth has it for $26 and Plant Delights for $32.

• maifleur01
    7 years ago

One of the best ways to check for names is to go to Carsten's website and check what you think the spelling is. You may find several with similar names. Supposedly Carsten is starting to update the site again. http://www.paeon.de/

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

Hollingsworth's is a good company, always sends healthy roots. The size and quality is about the same as Adelman's to me. I've never ordered from Plant Delights, looks like they sell potted plants?

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Maifleur,

haha uppps I'm sorry I miss typed it, thank you so much, I already check the Hollingsworth and order it. Woww they have alot of beautiful and rare peonies, thanks again Maifleur.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Lizbest,

I'm glad to hear that, you make me want to order more lol.

• maifleur01
    7 years ago

Plant Delights is more known for its rare plants and the cover of the catalog.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Maifleur, thank you for sharing, I'm very new growing peonies, this is my first time ordering bare root peonies. I really don't know what Im doing, I'm still learning from everyone here. I check the Plant delight website they dont have much left, I think I'm too late. I have to start earlier next year coz I really like that website.

• maifleur01
    7 years ago

Since you are just starting out you will not have a problem finding what you like. As you collect more start looking at the websites around Christmas when the sites are updated with the next years sale items. Several like Hidden Springs have peonies that are sold out within weeks. Many no longer have print catalogs but if you keep a list of nurseries/plants and their sources you of hard to find plants you can check each year to see if they will have them available. I am no longer actively collecting but just knowing a few individuals in the trade and asking "where can I find" can lead you to surprises.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Maifleur thank for your advice and all the info, you're being very helpful. I 'll do that.Now I'm thinking to order Cheddar Charm peony, what do you think? Do you like that or do you have better suggestion? I'm looking for white peony with yellow in the midle ,thanks.

• maifleur01
    7 years ago

No suggestions. Go by what you like best. Foliage after the bloom is the number two thing I look for after fragrance.

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Ok , thank you .

• lizbest1
    7 years ago

There are so many varieties of peonies that look similar, Redroses. What performs well in my zone 4B garden might grow like crazy or languish in the heat of your zone 6 garden. I'd suggest going to gardens with peonies in your immediate area and zeroing in on the ones that perform best there, saves you the heartbreak of babying roots that will never perform the best in your area. Cheddar Charm is a Klehm peony bred from Bowl of Cream. It's a Japanese that blooms mid-season for peonies so should be done before the heat of summer for you. I'd probably not try it here because Bowl of Cream has been one of my dismal failures, probably because of our late snows every spring. Just because one or both of the parents do poorly doesn't necessarily doom the child plant but......

The APS website has a listing of peony gardens by state if you're not sure what's in your area. I think Karen shared the list here last year as well if you just want to go back through a lot of the old posts, I do that sometimes in the winter when the weather's too bad to go outside. It's amazing how much info is posted here that I miss in the busy-ness of spring/summer that I collect later!

• Redroses Z6
    7 years ago

Lizbest, thank you for your advice, yes, you are right, I agree with you.I'll go check the website. Honestly I never see alot of kinds peonies at the nursery here, they only have few, and its pretty boring, I wish I live in a bigger city where they have alot of selection and where you can see the flowers.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting