Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to move a peonie??

Posted by bonniebudall (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 19:54

I have 1 peony on the southwest side of my home but in shade. It bloomed (when I bought it) but never has since. I was told peonies CAN be put in the shade. When I was studying the board someone said peonies must have sun. So, I'm assuming it's not sunny enought for this plant. My house is set at an angle not square n-s, e-w. I've always thought they needed to be on the north side, is this true. WHERE should I move this sole, single peony? Fall is a good time - right? I live in zone 5 - 7K ft elevation, high dessert of Arizona. Thx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to move a peonie??

First forget about zone. All zones are only temperature ranges. As far as being in the sun herbaceous peonies do like sun but where you are you must be more realistic. The sun at your elevation is stong. Most that comment here are living at 1500 or less.

Because you are high dessert do you mulch your peony to conserve moisture? You can use rocks for this. Does your peony look healthy with lots of stems? Did you incorporate humus or other soil in the area surrounding peony? Are you in clay or sandy soil? What cultivar is your peony? If it is a full double your air temps may become too hot and fry the flower buds before they can open. You may need to purchase a second peony that is not a full double, japanese, semi-double, or single. Where it is at does it receive lawn type fertilizer from runoff?

It would really help if you gave the nearest town in your message as you could be near Flagstaff where the growing time is too short for most peonies or Phoenix where heat comes early.

o
RE: Where to move a peonie??

Thx for responding! Yes, I do mulch, no it doens't get runoff fertilizer fromt he lawn. It's in a separate bed next to a patio. Rich, nice soil. no clay, no sand. Healthy plant with a fair amount of stems. While we are similar to Flagstaff and our growing season is short, there are a ton of peonies that do quite well int he community. I just think it's in the wrong place. Sorry, I don't know what cultivar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here