Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing Peonies???

Posted by bobby1973 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 20:01

hi,

i have a cluster of 3 peonies at one side of my house that gets part sun/part shade. i noticed that this year the plants hardly put out any blooms at all - not a whole lot of buds formed. the foliage however was extremely abundant and healthy looking! i'm wondering if maybe i should dig them up and divide them this fall. any ideas?

many thanks!
bobby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing Peonies???

Peonies do not require dividing to keep up the bloom. They do need to be planted at the right depth for your area, and the more sun the more blooms. Al

o
RE: Dividing Peonies???

Bobby,

If you are going to move your peonies to a sunnier site, be sure to look for the "eyes" (something like an eye of a potato that is starting to sprout.) You should have three or four eyes in every section that you plant and the most important thing is to be sure that the eyes are not more than one inch below the surface of the hole. --You can put a stick over the top of the hole to check for depth. If peonies are planted too deeply they will get foliage but not bloom. Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here