Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new Peony

Posted by maril_2006 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 22:29

Hi
I'm new with the Peony plants. I think they are beautiful so I got one from QVC. They say it is okay in our zone. I don't think I have ever seen one accept in pictures. I planted my bareroot about 3 weeks ago. It is about 12 inches tall. It was in very good shape when I got it but now it isn't doing anything. We have had 100 degree temp here in N Ca and lots of fires so very smoky. It had 3 or 4 white (I guess leaves) starting to form on the stalks I kept watching them but they didn't move or anything but kept getting greener. But now the ends are drying out and looking brittle. I don't know what to do I have been trying to shade it in the hottest part of the day but I don't know if it is helping. The ground is not drying out even though it is so hot. I don't know if I should keep watering it or let it dry out like they say. Can someone give me some info I sure do need help.
Thanks Mar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new Peony

Peonies can take full sun even here in sunny California. I question your soil, why does it not drain? The ends of the leaves drying out or turning brown can be caused by too much fertilizer, too much water, or soil that does not drain. Too little water would cause wilting which you don't mention. A little shade is appropriate until you correct the problems. If your soil is impossible you may have to replant it to save it, but replanting may also kill it. If you replant I would pot it in good well draining potting mix and hold off on the fertilizer for now. Northern California climate is fine for peonies. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here