Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
langleyk

Help choosing white peonies for entire season.

LangleyK
11 years ago

Hi all.

This is my first post to this site. I am planting a predominantly white fragrance garden and would like to plant five white, scented peonies that will cover the bloom season for semi- and double plants. So far, I have a short list consisting of the following and would welcome any suggestions you experienced gardeners might have. Thanks!

A.B. Frankland

Ann Cousins

Duchesse de Nemours

Festiva Maxima

Florence Nicholls

Marie Jacquin

Mrs. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Nancy Nicholls

Comments (12)

• peony005
    11 years ago

I wish Gilbert H Wild ship to Canada but unfortunately not. Their prices are uncomparable.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

My Mrs.FDR is pink - not white.

• kg253
    8 years ago

Thanks, squirejohn. I have done more searching and discovered that yes, Mrs. FDR should not be on a white peony list -- but she is so pretty that I want her anyway.

• ruth0552
    8 years ago

I also have had a hankering for a white peony. I got a festiva maxima root (that's my favorite!) but so far it has done zilch. Today I picked up a fragrant white peony at Walmart for 11.44. It was labelled "peony" as were the rest in the bunch, but for 11.44 I figured I couldn't go wrong. It looks vigorous as well, so I'm hoping it takes off.

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Petite Elegance is pretty and is rose scented. Baronness Shroeder is huge with a very pleasant scent. Madame de Verneille is also a good fragrant white.

Here is the Baronness

• lizbest1
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Baroness Shroeder is so perfect looking that it almost looks artificial, Karen! Love the whites that have the really dark foliage. LangleyK, are you looking for absolutely white blooms or is a bit of color okay? Festiva Maxima frequently has a small amount of red blotches. Doesn't sound attractive stated like that but it IS really pretty. Are you willing to stake the plants or are you looking for something that stands up well on it's own?

• kg253
    8 years ago

I don't mind a bit of colour and I don't mind staking.

• gdinieontarioz5
    8 years ago

My most recent peony purchases are Elsa Sass, which is supposed to be very late, and was highly praised by a great gardener I know, and Kelway's Glorious, said to be, well... glorious, as to bloom and scent.

Both are young plants yet, no bloom this year.

• maifleur01
    8 years ago

Most full doubles are late season bloomers. If you want all season bloom, which each year is different, start with a single then go through the full doubles.

• AlexUnder
    8 years ago

I would recommend Miss America - nice smell and beautiful flowers.

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Liz, thanks. BS is a really nice white! The only downside is that the blooms are too heavy and will definitely flop after a storm.

Sorry, but I did not detect any fragrance from my Elsa Sass, gdinie.

• kg253
    8 years ago

How interesting: peonies I have not even considered! This is going to be a tougher decision than I realized. Thanks, Maifleur, for pointing out the need to consider singles as well. It's back to the books for me!

Sponsored