Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I cut down the foilage?

Posted by illinois z6 S Illinois (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 05 at 0:04

My peonies are looking pretty beaten up by now and I wondered if I can cut some of it back now or do I need to leave it alone and let die back on it's own? Also the leaves look like something has been dining on it. There are dark spots on what is left of the leaves and I'm not sure how to handle the whole thing, I need some serious help with this poor plant. Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I cut down the foilage?

I always wait until the leaves are pretty tattered. Before they get that way, they add to the fall garden with the changing colors. But if yours are bad now, go ahead and cut them back. Don't compost them, trash them. The leaves may hold a fungus/disease that could spread.

o

I usually leave my peony foliage until October if I can, but this year they are looking pretty bad so I'm going to cut them back in a few days.

o

If the volume of leaves are beginning to deteriorate, go ahead cut them back.
They will eventually just go to mush which has to be cleaned up if you wish to avoid pests making nests there and disease organisms from overwintering there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here