Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecataldo58

peony not growing

Ecataldo58
9 years ago

Planted a bare root Itoh peony (correctly)) this April-2014 and the first Maroon color leaves came up around late May. The leaves eventually took to a dark green shade and stood about 4" above ground level and that's where we are today still. Just one shoot with 5 leaves came up . The leaves were firm and everything looked good. It is now 8/3/14 and the same 5 leaves are starting to curl a bit and the shade is changing at the tips to a different shade (light green) and the leaves are not as stiff as earlier. I watered it regularly (not too much) and we have had some good summer rain. This is the first time trying to grow this bush and I am at a loss what to do next? All my other garden flowers are doing great. The soil is fine and the spot that I planted it gets a lot of sun. I have heard that it is much better to plant a bare root Itoh Peony in the fall (for better success) and I am willing to try it again if needed in another spot. Any opinions as to starting again with a NEW bare root (this fall) or how can I save this one or can it be saved ? What am I doing wrong or is everything okay and just wait till next year for better results? Will be grateful for any and all suggestions.

Comments (4)