Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bone meal planting question?

Posted by Talisman777 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 8:51

Hi, I am new to this forum. We have just bought this house in central NY state and it has an old peony bed at least 110 years old, with many of the peonies missing in areas. I have purchased new bare root peonies to fill in these bare spots when they arrive in the fall.
I have raked in top soil and composted manure in an attempt to revitilize the soil of the old bed for now and will fertilize in the spring when the new growth comes up.

My question is if it would help or hinder the new plantings if I mixed in a cup of bone meal directly with the soil that will fill in around the new peony root. I also plan on mixing bone meal and composted manure in the bottom of the planting hole as well.
Thank in advance, Bob...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bone meal planting question?

I never put anything in the hole except the plant. I prefer the roots to want to grow out into the native soil, instead of remaining in an overly rich planting hole. If this is new property, for you, I might have a lab check the soil to see if it needs anything more than vegetative matter in the form of finished compost, well dug in. Anything added to the soil, I would want to amend, at least a four by four foot area. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here