Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White mildew on peony, Is it safe to cut them back now?

Posted by Joopster none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 9:34

I recently purchased 10 peonies that were all marked down because of white mildew. I took them home and keep it separated from all my current ones, hoping that that I will cut it at the end of September then plant them. well the mildew got worse and I'm debating if I should just cut them now. I'm in Chicago suburb 5a zone (6 according to the new map). If I cut them now would it be ok?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White mildew on peony, Is it safe to cut them back now?

I've never had problems with mildew so hopefully someone with experience will pipe in! I guess our "high desert" climate does have some advantages...I'd think it'd be better to cut back the foliage to just a few inches rather than risk losing the entire plant, though. We're really only a couple of weeks before the traditional "best" period for dividing/transplanting peonies, anyway.

Let us know how they do....

o

• Posted by pwin 8a (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 15:05

I've read about people mowing down their peonies at the first sign of browning from dieback, so their gardens would stay looking nice. That would occur about now. Their peonies would grow back healthy the next year. I've never done it myself.

o

I'm going to cut them down this weekend. The only one with no mildew is the Bartzilla. That one I'll wait till end of September.

o

We've had lots of rain here this summer, I've never had mildew on peonies before like this. I cut mine back to the ground, I figured they aren't doing anything anyway. One was so bad I cut it back last month

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here