Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long to reach maturity?

Posted by blan z6a MA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 10:26

I planted 2 barefoot peonies last year in the Spring. I got a single stem and a few leaves out of each during the last summer. This summer I got a few more stems and more leaves, but the plants are still short (about 12"), and no buds.

How many years does it usually take for barefoot peonies to reach maturity and bloom?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long to reach maturity?

I would have thought by planting spring of 2006 that you might have had a bloom or two this season. However, this was a bad spring season in many places, with the very late freeze affecting some buds/blooms.

but the plants are still short (about 12"), and no buds.
Most peonies only bud and bloom one time and that is in the spring. There are a few rare exceptions I think...like possibly some 'tree' peonies.

Are they pretty well getting full sun? Were you careful to not plant the 'eyes' too deep? The eyes should not be any more than 2" deep, or they will not flower.

Sue

o
RE: How long to reach maturity?

My peonies appreciate 3 or 4 inches of finished compost spread around them, not on top, spring and fall. Yours will probably give you a bloom or two next year. The short stems may be caused by soil not containing enough vegetative matter to promote a healthy soil food web. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here