Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanted itoh peony

Posted by fragrant z5 ON (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 10:51

Greetings:

I dug up an Itoh Peony -Bartzella - on August 23rd - and gave it to a friend to plant in their garden - zone 5. It is a one year old plant - I planted it last spring 2009. We are downsizing and I won't have a garden at the new house.

My friend said that unless she is watering it constantly, the leaves droop. I was wondering if it is okay to cut the leaves back at this time of year? We are experiencing very hot weather right now - in the 90s. If okay to do this, how far should the leaves be cut back?

Thank you in advance for any help,

Kind regards,
Fragrant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanted itoh peony

I would leave the plant alone for now. Like most plants peonies will appear to wilt during the day when it is hot, especially in a sunny area, then when it cools for the day revive. I would back off the watering doing a soak every third day. Then start stretching the time. Think of it this way you removed most of the small roots that were providing moisture to the plant. Now the plant must regrow those. Right now the plant is probably living on the moisture it has stored and not on it's root system. If too much water is supplied to the plant those tiny hair roots can rot. Your friend could provide the plant some shade. A decorative pot or even a chair placed to provide shade would be good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here