Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizbest1

What Roots are You Excited About for Next Spring?

lizbest1
9 years ago

Okay, I went just as crazy this ordering season as I did last year. I think I ordered around 20 Itohs and 5 tree peonies as well as a big assortment of herbaceous. I'm currently finishing up a new raised garden bed for all of my fall babies! Think I'm most excited about a couple of Itohs that I've been eyeing for a few years. One, Sonoma Halo, I saw and fell in love with at the APS convention in June. I also broke down and ordered several from Select Plus again. The root pictures from them last fall looked so nice and healthy and I know what I'm looking at a lot better than the first time I ordered from them....I also saw the tree Alice Harding at the UofM peony garden in June and absolutely loved it. The tree is tiny, less than 3' tall, but the one I saw was absolutely laden down with huge beautiful yellow blooms. So what are you excited about?

Comments (6)

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Wow, your garden is going to be so beautiful! Can I ask what tree peonies did you order? I looked up Sonoma Halo and its record is impressive and the flower looks like a full double yellow bloom. I bought some peonies from Fina and some from Gilbert Wild this year. The peony that I am most excited about growing is the double fernleaf peony. I saw your photo of it and I was sold.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Kousa! I ordered Age of Gold for Solaris and Alice Harding from Adelman's and Cun Song Ying, Fu Gui Man Tang and Yu Hou Feng Guang from Tree Peony Gardens. After seeing graycrane's pics, had to order from them! I'll possibly order more from them if they have the big end of season sale he talked about last fall.

Sonoma Halo's flowers caught my eye at the APS convention this year. It was truly massive, the size of a dinner plate, and a really pretty bright yellow.

• portia
    9 years ago

ALL of my roots! I have 20 peonies coming, super excited to get them planted this fall.

Off to check out Select Plus. Is there a trick to ordering well?

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know about a trick....I ordered 6 Itohs from them several years ago, the price was too good to be true and I regretted it afterward because the roots I received were tiny and delicate, came in something like a 4" pot and I got them in the spring. Didn't know what I was doing and managed to kill half of them, probably would've been fine if I'd put them in larger pots and babied them until fall. Their root sizes are clearly marked on the site now and pictures of roots received from them last fall looked just as good as everywhere else. Their selection can't be beat, they have beautiful Itohs that aren't offered elsewhere. I'll post pictures of the roots this fall, keep your fingers crossed that I'll have better luck with them this time! I ordered Strawberry Crème Brulee, Haleigh's Hallelujah, Pink Double Dandy, Crème a laâÂÂOrange, Enduring Rainbow, Magical Mystery Tour, Smith Family Yellow and Yellow Doodle Dandy from them.

They do respond to questions via email, sometimes you have to ask twice, though!

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Hi Liz and Portia. I also took a look at Select Plus. Wow, they have a huge selection of itohs. The ones on your list,Liz are great. Wish I can get them all but I have to narrow down 3. I am thinking of ordering Strawberry Crème Brulee, Haleigh's Hallelujah, and have to make a decision between Enduring Rainbow and Dark Knight.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They're both beautiful Kousa! Are you planting them together? I think Dark Knight would look amazing beside the other 2 multi-colored ones. But Enduring Rainbow would be great, too! Decisions, decisions....