Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what a surprise!

Posted by vjhale z5 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 13:47

About 7 years ago someone I worked with was building a deck and asked if I wanted the peony bush that was going to be covered. Of course I went over and dug it up without seeing it. It has bloomed the same single pink flowers since the year I planted it.

About 3 years ago it started sending out several branches that looked different than the rest of the leaves, but nothing ever bloomed on them - until this year.

You can image how surprised I was to see these lovely flowers blooming. What happened?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what a surprise!

WoW that Is Cool ! You are very lucky !
kinda looks like a tree Peony in the mix,
I hope someone can help You with more info.
Olgaflowers

o

The double blooms do seem to come from tp foliage.
Seems a little odd that a herb and a tp would bloom at same time.
Maybe your plant was originally a tp grafted onto herb root.

o

I have linked to information on your tree peony. Put a marker on these stems and any others that connect to them for now. This fall when the foliage dies down very carefully remove the foliage that you have not marked. If you can dig the tree peony part without digging the rest try to do so. The regular peony grows faster than the tree peony and if they are still connected may take nutriants from the tp. With luck and great care you may be able to separate the plants.

I would recomend that you use a butter knife or some rounded tool to remove the soil around the tp part to see if it has it's own roots. You may have to dig part of the regular peony to separate them. If the tp has it's own roots you may be able to just remove the part with the roots. You may need a small saw to separate. To have a larger tp in the future try to bury most of the stems under ground. Roots and future flowering stems will come from the buried portion.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to your tree peony

o

maifleur, I think this may be the link you were looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paeonia 'Souvenir du Professor Maxime Cornu'

o

Well, I would be mighty surprised and pleased too. Good luck at getting them separated.

Sue

o

Thank you for your help, this has been one of the more interesting developments in my garden this year. I have several herbaceous peonies, but this is the first tree peony in my garden.

I had wondered about the different leaves, and hate to admit, even considered cutting them off, I'm so glad I didn't. More experience with peonies would be a good thing right now, but will be ever so cautious when looking into splitting them, I would hate to lose either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here