Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
want to grow peonies...is it possible in my climate?

Posted by plantloverla z8LA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 4, 09 at 14:29

Hello...as usual, I always seem to want to grow something that might not like my zone!!! I have always wanted to have peonies...but my zone is 8a/b...and with global warming, my winters aren't really cold...although we did have SNOW last Dec. 11th!! any way...would a very early blooming peony have any chance here?? Can you suggest some hardy, early varities??? thanks..love this formum!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: want to grow peonies...is it possible in my climate?

Just do a search for peonies for the south and you will find all kinds of suggestions. The chill hours mentioned in many sites are the number of hours below 40F.

Auburn University has been doing a study of peonies for the south. They received a number of plants, many tree peonies, when Gold Port went out of the peony business and moved to the North West. So they are another source of information. They have also sent plants all around the area to parks and gardens so you might want to contact them for places you can view peonies, both regular and tree.

Rather than tell us your zone, which is mearly your lowest average temperature, where is the location of your garden. A general location may be all that is needed because Peony Man was from Louisiana and knows the areas there.

o

My property is 30 miles northeast of Baton Rouge, Louisiana...hill country with clay/loam soil.

o

Yes you can grow peonies that will flower in your zone. You will need to plant them so high that the top of the roots containing the buds are not covered with ANYTHING through the winter. The buds must be exposed to AIR temperature. I have many varieties of herbaceous peonies here and have not noticed a difference in their ability to accept your warmer winter temperature. They love clay/loam soil and would only suggest working finished compost into your soil to a depth of about 2 feet before planting. With your high humidity summer climate I would be sure to space your plants far apart to improve the air circulation and help avoid moldy foliage. Al

o

Can I grow peonies in Houston . It is hot and humid climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here