Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing Peonies HELP!

Posted by greenlydia Washington (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 07 at 14:57

I live about 40 miles north of Seattle and am new to dividing peonies. How and when do I do this? I have no idea what kind of peonies I have........they are big and pink and sorta ruffled and bloomed like crazy, but they have been in the same place for a number of years now and are looking a bit squished to me and I'd like more without having to pay the outrageous price they want for them. If you send me instructions, please make them very detailed and don't assume I know up from down. Much thanks in advance for your advice!
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing Peonies HELP!

I would wait until fall when the weather cools and the peony slides into dormancy. It is better to dig up the whole plant, hose all the soil away so you can see the twisted roots and the emerging buds for next years growth. If you want the divisions to bloom next year, you should at least have 3 to 5 buds with each division and as much of the bulbous roots as possible. Plant them right away where you want them for the next 5 to 10 years being careful to not plant too deep. If you don't want them all, pot them up in pots big enough to allow for abundant root growth. Whenever I replant peonies I take that opportunity to dig a lot of finished compost into the area down to about 2 feet before planting. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here