Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smom40

Where is the best online place to buy peonies?

smom40
18 years ago

My schtick is roses, so I don't know who's a great vendor and who is not.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to order a few to plant this fall. TIA!

Comments (27)

• maifleur01
    18 years ago

Too bad you can't come to KCMO on October 1, 2005. The Heartland Peony Society is having it's every other year sale at the Rolling Hills Presbyterian Church. We will be having lots of really yummy peonies. I won't say more because it probably could get me expelled.

Since you probably not be able to come try linking to http:/www.peonies.org and look at the vendor list. You will find links to many of the top breeders and growers such as http://www.hollingsworthpeonies.com/, www.Songsparrow.com, www.peonyparadise.com etc.

• smom40
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the links!

And yeah, wish that KCMO was a little closer to home. I'd love to go! :(

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

I've gotten excellent peonies from Klehm's Songsparrow Farm (www.songsparrow.com) and Mr. Hollingsworth (www.hollingsworthpeonies.com).

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

smom40:

I'd recommend A & D Nusery, whose web address is listed below. Although this will be the first time that I have ordered from them, I just called them to confirm the availability of a few peonies that I have chosen to add to our garden in northwestern Michigan.

The person was friendly, informative, and very generous with his information and in answering my questions. In addition, they have a great variety of peonies available - see their web site.

Unfortunately, they are out of P. Officinalis "Rubra Plena" otherwise known as the "Memorial Day" peony. I'll have to locate another source, but may wait until next year.

My mother was given this particular peony decades ago by her mother and we enjoyed its blooms as a wonderful cut and fragrant flower. She always referred to it as the "Memorial Day" peony although no one in the family knew its "official" name until recently.

Apparently, there are two varieties - one is a pink and the other - the one I wish to add to our garden - is a nice deep, fragrant red with some purple overtones early in its bloom.

Of course, since I grew up in central Illinois - Peoria - this peony did bloom in and/or around "Memorial Day", I doubt whether it will do so in northwestern Michigan, since Memorial Day occurs a few weeks after our last "official" frost day.

Hope this additional information is useful.

Best wishes in your gardening endeavors.

Here is a link that might be useful: A & D Nursery

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

smom40:

I just read your info and saw that you have recently moved to the St. Louis area.

I do hope that you realize how lucky you are - being so close to the wonderfully delightful Missouri Botanical Garden - known as Shaw's Garden locally.

My daughter and her young family are headed down this weekend to St. Louis to enjoy the also delightful St. Louis Zoo and will visit the garden, which will be also celebrating its Japanese Festival.

If you are looking for excellent information on line, here's a link to the Kemper Center for Home Gardening - plant information site. The site that I've posted below references one of the peonies that is on my list of possible candidates.

If you have a chance to visit this wonderful garden, I have no doubts that you'll enjoy and learn much from its wealth of resources.

Should you have a chance to head north, you might also be interested in exploring "The Morton Arboretum", which has 1600 acres of tree, shrubs, etc, a wonderfully stocked horticultural library, miles of roads and trails, a nice restaurant and gift shop - just to mention a few of its wonders.

FYI - The Morton Arboretum is located in Lisle, IL. Their web site can easily be found by doing a search in Google.

You must also realized, of course, that I am a little jealous. Getting to either of these wonderful places is now a very long drive - I used to live in Peoria, IL - where the drivin distances weren't so great.

Enjoy the wonders of St. Louis along with the heat and humidity of the tallgrass prairie. By the way, if you wish to learn about the tallgrass prairie, I hihgly recommend the reading of John Madson's book: "Where the Sky Began: Land of the Tallgrass Prairie". It's not only an excellent armchair read, but it will undoubtedly be of great help with learning to garden on the tallgrass prairie.

Another excellent book, which is also an armchair delight to read is Eleanor Perenyi's book: "Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden". It may be out of print, but it should be available at your local public library; their inter-library loan system; and/or through either abe.com or alibris.com - both excellent sources of used/new books from hundreds of sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Botanical Garden - Kemper Center - Plant information

• diannp
    18 years ago

You might also check out the Peony Garden of Center Point Iowa. They are great folks to deal with.

Diann
    IA Z5a

Here is a link that might be useful: The Peony Garden of Center Point

• smom40
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. Thank you for all of your wonderful information! I'll be sure to check out the Botanical Garden. I've been there once so far on a field trip with my daughter's school, but I've not been able to get there yet for ME! :)

I'm trying to get there soon.

• ywilliam
    18 years ago

I found this terrific nursery on the web that sends "Monster" peony divisions when you order from them. Their motto is to "make an instant impact in your garden", rather than wait 2 or 3 years to see a bloom. They are Scott and Elizabeth Reath of Reath's Nursery at www.reathsnursery.com. The contact is 906.563.9777. In fact, Scott's father, David Reath, hybridized one of a few, the very rare" Lemon Chiffon" before he died in 1995, priced at $380. And, itÂs gorgeous!Their peonies are true to its name.

I swear to you, the roots are as if they sent the entire plant to you! There's 3 different sizes and prices to choose from for each peony named. I ordered a few peonies just this past Monday via fax 10/24, and I received them today (this Wednesday evening 10/26 in Alaska) on my door step by UPS, because they cared about the snow coming in soon. Now that's service!! I promised them that because of the wonderful service I received that I would make every local master gardener aware of their website. They even ship through November until "their" ground freezes! How can you beat that!

I only wish I'd found them 4 years ago! Of course, we'll have snow by November but, you can always pot them up and put them in a cold place. I can assure you all that their services and divisions are certainly worth any money spent!!!!!! Please make all my sisters and brothers of gardening aware. Please check out the website guys!

• hzpeony_2006
    17 years ago

Hello, every peony lover, we are from Heze, China, the biggest growing peony and supply living peony from here. Pls visit our website:
    http://hoftco.51.net/, here you will find out what you are looking for now.
    Pls write to us and we will reply accordingly.
    Best wishes,
    Henry Loo
    henryloo@126.com

Here is a link that might be useful: peony--growing and supplying base and center

• bamboogrrrl
    17 years ago

I've gotten lovely peonies from Gilbert Wild... They have great prices and nice size plants.

http://www.gilberthwild.com/

• henryloo_126_com
    16 years ago

We are the special nursery and supplier of tree peony and herbaceous peony from Heze, China, the biggest growing gardern and nursery of peony. Welcome to visit our hometown, as well as our web: http://hoftco.51.net for more details.
    sincerely,
    Henry Loo
    henryloo@126.com

Here is a link that might be useful: best supplier of peony

• rinaldo
    16 years ago

I've just received an order from A&D which is very impressive. I also once got a dozen or so Le Jour from Viettes that were simply massive.

• freedom1
    16 years ago

I have to agree with A & D peonies. I am within driving distance and they are just great! I have brought in many an unknown peony bloom and the owner has identified them for me. Also, this last spring I went to find a gift for my daughter's teacher. She had inquired about some blooms my daughter brought to class and really wanted a peony. I bought her a Duchess de Nemours and found for me a beautiful pink that was extremely fragrant. It was planted with a group of nonfragrant plants. The owner wasn't sure what it was, so he sold me the whole plant for the price of a single division! When I picked it up this fall, he knew who I was. I like that! It was a huge root and I can't wait until spring!

Kat

• joyzhou
    16 years ago

hi everyone ,I am from minhong peony flower co,.led heze china ,main peony product area, we can supply you high quality ,classic ,several colors peonytree ,also can give you assitance about how to plant .
    contace me zyl.lr1314@yahoo.com.cn

• joyzhou
    16 years ago

hi everyone ,I am from minhong peony flower co,.led heze china ,main peony product area, we can supply you high quality ,classic ,several colors peonytree ,also can give you assitance about how to plant .
    contact me: zyl.lr1314@yahoo.com.cn

• katkat
    16 years ago

Can we order peonies from China? Is the shipping expensive? What about payment........do they take american checks?

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

Katkat The major question for importing from China is do you have an import permit or license. You also should be aware that if any plants including peonies pass customs they still need to pass USDA APIS inspection. Any where along the route someone could decide the did not like the shipment and have it destroyed and then bill you for the cost. Until you have several years (10+) of growing peonies and have what you want of US and Canadian plants I would advise not to import.

Most want a wire transfer or credit card with you paying all of the fees.

The above statement will within the next twenty or so years probably apply to intra-state shipping.

• katkat
    16 years ago

well thank you for that bit of insight! I never thought about that........plus there are alway scams going on. I actually emailed the above poster and he emailed me back with prices that were unbelievably low, but he sells at such high bulk rate (1000) about 1-2 bucks a piece. But a person would receive nothing if they never arrived for one reason or the other. Even though I see myself getting out the tiller and making a spot for 1000 new peonies.......lol, one can dream eh?

Kat

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

Most of the Chinese growers are large volume sellers and do not understand that most of the posters only want one or two special plants that they can not purchase in this country. There is one nursery in Pennsylvania that does import then grow the peonies in pots until established. Of course he charges more for them. If I can remember the nursery name I will post. Sorry I just remember his name and I do not wish to post it.

• dreamingcat
    13 years ago

I'm selling peonies, if you wants a lot, please email me, rosone@126.com, or add my msn: rosone_rosne@msn.com

• rockiitp
    13 years ago

I got my deal on ebay.. cscn4502 was the seller. They import from china in fall.. plants are good to average, and I have had some good luck with them.

I understand their list will go to china On sept 1.. and plants arrive anytime from october to november.
    For $9.99 and s/h on 1-4 plants $27.. it has been a bargain so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay tree peony auction site - cscn4502

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

You need to be aware that the English names are not the translation of the Pinyun names. You will need to go to Carsten's website or put the common Chinese, Pinyun, name in to see what you have.

This is a repackager not a grower of these peonies. Don't expect wow plants.

• henryloo_126_com
    13 years ago

Welcome to :
    http://www.peonysupply.com
    Business Scope

1. Tree peony (young plant)
    (1) 2~3 year old root and stem with 2~3 branches
    Always the root will be washed clear with water, then disinfected, drying the water in the skin and then packed in the polybag, which can avoid the goods dried out.
    (2) Delivery time will be since September each year till January next year.
    (3) CFR Rotterdam price and sizes(Red, Pink and White)
    *2~3 years 2~3 branches packed in Carton 40x43x60cm/100plants App.g.w.20kgs; 30000plnt/20ctnr and 55000plnt/40'cntr; *2~3 years 3~4 branches packed in Carton 40x43x60cm/100plnts App.g.w.25kgs; 30000plnts/20ctnr and 55000plnts/40'cntr; *3~4 years 5~6 branches packed in Carton 40x43x60cm/50plnts App.g.w.30kgs; 15000plnts/20ctnr and 30000plnts/40'cntr.

2. Tree and Herbaceous peony fresh cut flower(white, red, pink, purple, green,...)
    (1) Length: about45~50cm

Here is a link that might be useful: best tree peony supplier from China

• henryloo_126_com
    13 years ago

Welcome to :
    http://www.peonysupply.com
    Business Scope

1. Tree peony (young plant)
    (1) 2~3 year old root and stem with 2~3 branches
    Always the root will be washed clear with water, then disinfected, drying the water in the skin and then packed in the polybag, which can avoid the goods dried out.
    (2) Delivery time will be since September each year till January next year.
    (3) CFR Rotterdam price and sizes(Red, Pink and White)
    *2~3 years 2~3 branches packed in Carton 40x43x60cm/100plants App.g.w.20kgs; 30000plnt/20ctnr and 55000plnt/40'cntr; *2~3 years 3~4 branches packed in Carton 40x43x60cm/100plnts App.g.w.25kgs; 30000plnts/20ctnr and 55000plnts/40'cntr; *3~4 years 5~6 branches packed in Carton 40x43x60cm/50plnts App.g.w.30kgs; 15000plnts/20ctnr and 30000plnts/40'cntr.

2. Tree and Herbaceous peony fresh cut flower(white, red, pink, purple, green,...)
    (1) Length: about45~50cm

Here is a link that might be useful: best tree peony supplier from China

• bwatergardens_aol_com
    12 years ago

Bridgewater Gardens in Michigan is offering peony plants and roots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peony Plants

• Phylis
    8 years ago

I've learned from Liz and past purchases that Gilbert Wild is a great vendor for peony, iris, daylily and lily, etc.

Has anyone purchased peonies from Breck's and can comment on the quality of their peonies? The bareroot roses I got from Breck's in May are excellent.