Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good spot for a row of peonies?

Posted by katefisher Z7_NorthernCA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 07 at 16:30

Question about if I can plant peonies here (sucessfully) and if so, recommendations on a good one for a peony newbie.

On the east side of our house we have a bed that runs about 15 feet long by 14 inches wide. Right now it has the worst of all devil plants growing there, Queen Anne Lace. I am in the middle of launching an attack on the Q.A. Lace with a plan of putting peonies in there next spring. Does that sound like enough room? That is to say, wide enough? The space gets wonderful morning sun and diffused sun for the rest of the day.

Furthermore there are so many great peonies out there I have no clue where to begin in choosing one.

Thank you.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good spot for a row of peonies?

My only concern is the amount of sun. Peonies,like Roses, bloom best with "full" sun. Tree peonies will do fine with less sun but the space looks a little cramped for them. Any herbaceous peonies are Ok. Work the soil up down to two feet and dig in lots of compost. Space your peonies four feet apart when planting to allow for air circulation and avoid disease problems as they fill the space. The one complaint with peonies is they do not rebloom, but do remain green and attractive through the summer. Plant them high enough so you can see the buds for next years growth through the winter. Too deep and they might not ever bloom. Depending on the plant you start with they may not bloom for a year or two, even if you do everything right. Al

o
RE: Good spot for a row of peonies?

Al thank you very much for your informative response. Some very good thoughts there and all completely new to me. I knew effectively nothing until reading your post.

You know I believe I will heed your good advice and maybe try something that is a little less of a sun addict in the bed described above. I might have a little space in next years rose bed for a peony or two that does not get too large. The rose bed gets excellent sun.

Maybe I'll try bellflowers in the side bed instead.

Again thank you.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here