Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvahydrangea

Normal end of season die-back?

luvahydrangea
18 years ago

Hi, I'm a new member of this forum, I hope its okay if I go ahead and post a question.

I saw under another post someone had asked about cutting back a peony that was starting to look a bit lifeless. It hadn't ocurred to me that a peony could start dying back this early. I've been concerned about one of my peonies, that started turning brown and losing its leaves a few weeks ago. I had other peonies near-by (not touching) that were and continue to be full of lush green leaves.

I hope its okay to post pictures.

This is the peony in question. Its a new peony, that I just planted this past spring, so I don't know if this is normal for this peony or not. Was wondering if you anyone would be willing to offer any thoughts.

{{gwi:1143321}}

I'm getting all different advice concerning its appearance. Some say cut it back, others say fertilize it. I'm confused and don't want to hurt it. If its best to leave it alone, then I'll do it. But I don't want to just sit back and watch it die if there is something I should be doing to try and salvage it.

Oh and its been a very dry summer for us here on Long Island, but I do water 2 or 3 times a week and its in full sun, (5-6 hours/day) facing West as are my other peonies.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler