Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dviding and transplanting

Posted by nebrjean1027 Nebraska (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 05 at 18:27

I am dividing a clump of peonies. I FINALLY got a good chunk of it dug up and am now trying to divid and transplant it. I got a number of cuttings with 2-5 eyes - I want 5 plants planted 2' apart. Does this sound all right? I have found that a number of the fleshy roots and some around the crown have hollowed out areas. Can this be borers? Or is it normal? Will it hurt anything to plant them this way? Or should I do anything special? OR should I just wait until spring and buy some more??????
Any help or suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

Jean 4BNebraska

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dviding and transplanting

Fall is the best time for planting buy then. The hollowed crown could be from many things but most older peonies when divided have a woody portion that is sometimes hollowed out. Cut out, you might have to use a small saw the hollow places if posible. Allow to air dry to prevent mold and fungi from entering the root before planting.

Think of what you want to have. Two feet apart will form a hedge after a time. Good air circulation will prevent many problems from occuring.

o
RE: Dviding and transplanting

Don't worry about the hollow spots, but do think about the spacing as at two feet you well could be creating a mildew problem in the years to come. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here