Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would I be hurting my peonies if I

Posted by earthlydelights Z6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 07 at 19:20

dig them and pot them up in anticipation of a move? it would cause me tear to have to leave these.

thanks
maryanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would I be hurting my peonies if I

This is the time to dig peonies. Depending on how long before you move you can either pot or bag with barely damp peat or other material. You only want it slightly damp. If more than feel damp to touch you could rot your roots.

o

So which brand of soil is best if you transplant a tree peony into a container?

o

maifluer, thank you kindly for your advice. they will stay potted for several months.

thanks
maryanne

o

I have found peony to be very accepting of transplanting. I once dug a perrenial peony up with a backhoe in the middle of winter without knowing what it was and stuck all the tubers in a metal pail to take home just for kicks. It filled with water and froze solid. In the spring I ended up with two dozen peony growing straight out of the rusty water. I put them in the ground and now have two dozen nicely blooming double pink peony. I imagine you'll show more love than my backhoe so fret not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here