Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peonies won't grow

Posted by Aorti2 z8 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 05 at 21:04

This is the 3rd year I've had my peonies and they simply won't grow. They will grow a few inches out of the ground, get lots of leaves and stays that way throughout the summer. They never get more than a few inches tall. What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peonies won't grow

What did you plant and how deep? Where are they planted full sun, shade, dry slope, next to a swamp. Need more information to tell you what the problem is. From the shoulder thought is they are planted way way too deep.

o

For peonies, maximum planting depth is two inches.

o

If I were you this fall I would dig them up. Set your plant aside and dig the bed down to 2 feet. Refill the bed with 50% compost and 50% your native soil. Replant your peonies keeping the buds for next years at the soil level. Be sure you can still see them when you are through. When you weed the bed in the spring add 2 inches of compost around your plants, NOT ON TOP OF THEM. Your peonies should grow up to 3 feet and bloom from then on. Al

o

my peony bushes are over 100 years old. so far they have not shown any signs of coming up. several have started coming up they are also over 100 years old. what could be wrong ?

o

Cathay: hard winter, If they came up before, they will again. Give them time. It looks like everything is running a little later than normal. Pembroke

o

great advice! i have over 50 peonies - if not more - and i always make sure not to plant them too deep, plant them in the Fall and also, make sure that they are planted in full sun. it's one of my favorite flowers - can you tell!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here