Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizbest1

Anyone Receive Roots Yet this Fall?

lizbest1
9 years ago

Noticed my card was charged for my order from Klehm's Song Sparrow, meaning it'll be shipped out this week or next! Unless I get notification by email that a box is in the mail soon from another source that one will be my first roots for this fall. Have any of you received roots ordered this season yet?

Comments (109)

• esrun
    9 years ago

Last one

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'd call GW and let them know the Red Charm was broken, they'll probably replace it since it was damaged. You need to do it right away though, within just a couple of days of receiving the roots. Or email them and attach the picture you show above.
    The main part of the Red Charm will still grow even though part's broken off, it'll probably take a few years to bloom, though. I'd even plant the part with no eyes, don't know if Red Charm is one that will grow new eyes from broken feeder roots or not but why not try?
    I see you got Miss Melbourne, I did too! Never heard of it nor is it in the peony database but that picture sure is pretty, huh?
    Good luck with your new peonies!

• esrun
    9 years ago

Thank you for your advice, I'll email them, its good you have Miss Melbourne also, we can compare pictures!

10/18/14
    To Liz, I emailed them and they sent a big Red Charm replacement, thank you again

This post was edited by esrun on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 4:03

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Liz, no wonder you are anxious about planting those two peonies; they are expensive! They are certainy beautiful though! With these beauties, you have to hybridize for some special seedlings.

esrun, the Red Charm looks rather small compare to the others. There are some eyes on them that I see at the tip of the left root. I agree with Liz that it will probably not bloom next spring.

• bunti
    9 years ago

here are my roots from PeonyParadise.com
    (adelman Peony) . They all have 5 eyes each, I have expected more eyes. But the roots are big. This is my first peony order. I think I am happy.

• bunti
    9 years ago

My Joker root.

• bunti
    9 years ago

Vivid Rose root

• bunti
    9 years ago

My Love

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

These roots look awesome, Bunti. I see some very large eyes which would mean you are most likely to get flowers next spring. Good luck!

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You got some really pretty varieties, Bunti! Make sure you post some pictures if you have blooms next year!

• bunti
    9 years ago

Roots are having large eyes. I wish they have flowers next year. I will sure post pictures, if they blooms.

I like fragrant flowers. So I have ordered them. Joker is not fragrant but I like the color.

I have ordered few other from reathsnursery. I haven't received the roots yet. I have ordered bigger roots. so anxiously waiting for them.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I looked at Reath's website, Bunti. They have some nice varieties and their basic prices seem good, the Itohs they offer seem a bit expensive. Have you ordered from them before? I didn't see any pictures or descriptions of how their extra large 3-5 eye or double divisions look. Fina has sent massive roots the last 2 years and the ones received so for from Select Plus were mostly very large. I got Enduring Rainbow, Haleigh's Hallelujah, Keiko and Strawberry Crème Brulee from them the other day. SCB was tiny, fairly small feeder root with 4 small eyes, but the other 3 were large enough/had enough eyes to divide before planting.
    I was really excited after getting Fina's roots last year thinking they were all almost guaranteed to bloom this spring because of the size but no more bloomed their first spring than the ones that were smaller at planting. Maybe the difference will be obvious 2nd year when they're more established.
    I was excited when I saw Reath's was in MI; my husband's family lives there. But when I looked up the driving directions from their home to Reath's I gave up the idea of a nice afternoon looking at peonies in the field the next time we visit in the spring! Reath's is so far north it's still 300 miles from their home! Must be absolutely beautiful up there, though. What little I've seen of the UP was amazing.
    My husband thinks I've turned into a crazy peony lady with all of the boxes of peonies I've received this year! I created a new bed for them this spring/summer; moved in 45 cubic yards of planter's mix so far and will probably do another 20-30 yards next spring to finish it off. What I've done so far of the new bed will be crowded when I'm done planting this fall. Work was insane this spring/summer with massive amounts of overtime. I rewarded myself more than I should've by using those extra funds to buy extra roots! Actually ordered more this year than I did last year.

• bunti
    9 years ago

This is the first year I am ordering Peonies. I have ordered couple from ebay before. they are very small roots, with 2 eyes.

Fina's is not having anymore roots right now. :( All are soldout.

I am hoping that I will receive my order soon from reath's.
    As soon as i get them, I will post the pictures of the roots.

we are planning to build a house. I want to have all the plants planted when we move in. And want to have flowers from the first year.

below is the peonies I have

Handaijin (tree Peony)
    Kinkaku(Tree peony)

Walmart/Lowes/Homedepot Peonies

Sobert
    Double White
    Madame emile debatene
    karl rosenfield
    sarah bernhardt
    Kirinmaru
    Bartzella
    Candy Stripes
    Lorelei
    Joker
    Rose Heart
    Joker(PeonyParadise.com)
    My Love(PeonyParadise.com)
    vivid Rose(PeonyParadise.com)

Ann Cousins(reath's)
    Carol(reaths)
    Dayton - Pink (reaths)
    Dinner Plant(reaths)

These are waiting list for next year

Auten's pride
    Cheddar Gold
    Henry Bockstoce
    Hormione
    Raspberry Sundae

Bess Bockstoce
    Highlight
    Jean Cooperman
    La France
    Mother's Choice
    Sinbad

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Bunti, have your Kirinmaru bloomed since you planted it? I wonder if you have the correct one.

• bunti
    9 years ago

It hasn't bloomed yet. I have planted it late. I have got bud, but it didn't bloomed.

Hopfully next year. People are not having luck with it. I am crossing my fingers.

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

Here's the rubra flora plena double fernleaf peony that I just received off eBay.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are you looking to hybridize or just like the fernleafs, Steve? I think I got that one last fall, isn't it the one also known as the red Memorial Day peony?

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

I just like the look of the fernleafs especially because I don't have any of them yet, so it would be a good addition to my collection.

I mostly have tree peonies, and over 100 species of them, but it's hard to find that many fernleaf types.

Do you happen to have more fernleaf species available?

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not yet, Stevlau1911! I purchased my 1st fernleaf last year so mine are tiny. I got a double red, single red and several hybrids. Also got another couple from different sources this year, it'll be interesting to see if they are identical-since they're fertile both ways I'd think there would be more variations out there, probably being sold as species.
    Didn't you get one last fall and divide it pretty severely? How did that go?

Saw a couple of places advertised a single pink fernleaf but I don't like them $150 worth! Parkland had one, don't think they had a picture posted. And Mr. Mackerman at the Peony Garden advertised one, think it was the same price. I know I have several peonies that I've paid that or more for, just can't see doing it this time.

Got 3 trees from the Tree Peony Garden last week. Should've taken pictures I guess but I was really impressed with the size of the roots. I bought what was advertised as 2 year divisions and all 3 were on their own very extensively developed roots. Graycrane posted pictures of those he received last year and I was just too tempted, had to try them myself. I'll be ordering from them again in the future!

• vickysgarden
    9 years ago

I received a lot of peony roots this fall for a border I am planting along the edge of my front lawn. This one, Celebrity, is from BulbsDirect.

What do you think of this root? I have to say it is the worst-looking of all the others I ordered. I could not see any eyes on it, but they had their expert look at the picture, and he saw eyes on it. They assured me to plant it and wait and see...they kindly said they would replace or refund in the spring if it does not do well. It was only $17.00 including free shipping! What is your opinion of this root?

• vickysgarden
    9 years ago

I know this picture is not the clearest, but does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this looks like a decent root?

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

It seems to have decent root, a stem, and behind the stem toward the right is something that looks like an eye. I am not sure as your pic is not clear. Usually the eye is in very close proximity to the stem. You can plant it and maybe the eyes will become "alive" and if that is the case, you will see growths from the root next spring. Usually a good size root will have at least 3-5 eyes. This one looks like it has only 1 eye.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you haven't planted it already I'd soak it in water for 20-30 minutes before planting. Sometimes rehydrating will make tiny eyes stand out. The feeder roots are certainly of sufficient size to support growth next spring. I'd plant it and see what happens, like Kousa said! And sounds like a no lose situation if they'll replace/refund in the spring if it doesn't grow!

• vickysgarden
    9 years ago

Yes, that's what I thought, too....I soaked the root well, planted it, and will wait and see. Thanks for your opinions on it!

• eterprincess
    9 years ago

I can finally pos that I got my roots in!!! Ordered the 5 for $25 from Gilbert Wild. I haven't opened the bags yet because I can't plant till Saturday,

I received:
    Kathryn Fonteyn
    Felix crousse
    Minuet
    Amabillis
    Krinkled white

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You got some really good ones, eterprincess! And at an incredible price, could probably get one of those for $25 anywhere else! And a nice mix of colors, too.

• eterprincess
    9 years ago

Some of the roots are huge too. When I take them out if the bags to plant I will post pics.

Are the eyes supposed to be red or white? Some that I can see are bright red, others on here seem to be white

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both are fine, eterprincess. Some are reddish when they first form and turn white as they get bigger, some stay red and grow a reddish stem when they first start to emerge, some stems stay red. It all depends on the variety.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

That is a really wonderful collection for only $25, eterprincess! You are going to love it. Last year I bought Amabilis and Krinkled White for $8 each and I thought they were already excellent prices.

• eterprincess
    9 years ago

Only took a photo of Kathryn Fonteyn, 10 eyes!! The others had 4-5 eyes each, some good size only small one was the minuet for the eye size

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roots have been bigger from a few big growers the last few years, wonder if it will continue. It'll be interesting to see if there is a long-term advantage to the bigger roots, didn't see much of a difference first spring. Could've further divided them, did on a couple from Select Plus this fall. Looking forward to seeing if last year's huge roots make a much larger shrub this spring once they've been in the ground for over a year

• portia
    9 years ago

I succumbed and placed an order last nite with Easy To Grow Bulbs for a few peonies along with some bleeding hearts and spring bulbs. I ordered dahlias from them in the spring and was shocked how fantastic the tubers were--and all grew & were properly identified when they bloomed. Also a gardening friend told me she had also been very impressed with them so when I saw that they had some peonies at pretty good prices when many of the other sellers have stopped shipments or sold out, I figured why not.

I got Emilie Debatane (sp) for $9, Kansas for $8, and Mrs FD Roosevelt for $11, when I saw it at Klehms for closer to $30 (even after doing 3 for 2 the shipping killed any real savings).

Hopefully there are at least the 3-5 eyes they advertised, I'm hoping for more. I'll update in a week or so.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please do, Portia. Looking forward to seeing what you get! Their prices seem great.

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

I just received and potted up another fernleaf peony from a different seller. It should be the same species, rubro flora plena double.

I really wonder if the piece that barely has an eye has any chance of producing, but we will see next spring.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

The top one looks really good. Are there no eyes with the bottom root? Is that an extra? or did you buy 2? Is there a reason that you are planting them in pot and not in the ground?

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

Yes,

My reason for using a pot is because fernleafs are expecially prone to rotting if they are too moist so I got it potted up. I guess the 2nd one is an extra thrown in as a piece that may or may not take, but that's a small plastic bag.

I just hope it is viable.

• bunti
    9 years ago

I have ordered few peonies from reaths nursery. I have ordered double size roots. I have received the roots in the photos. I am very very disappointed with them. they are very poor quality and one or 2 tiny eyes. with half rotted roots. photos are not showing the hollows in the roots. :(

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

The hollowness of roots indicates that these roots are old, not necessarily diseased. Old roots must die for young roots to take place. The eyes look healthy. Though for the size and hollowness of the roots, they should be somewhat discounted. You will just have to plant them and see if they give you flowers next year. If they bloom for you and the foliage is healthy, I think that it is an indication that the roots are fine. Please don't be too upset. I am sorry that they did not turn out as you expected.

This post was edited by kousa on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 15:52

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bunti, what varieties did you order? Some of mine are really woody like that, could the smaller, woody ones just be a slower growing variety? I've never ordered from Reaths before so don't know their policies and business practices but most will offer some restitution if you're unhappy.

• bunti
    9 years ago

I have ordered

Ann Cousins
    Carol
    Dayton
    Dinner Plate

They said Dinner plate need stalking and said its not good recommendation and they are replacing something else.

I have received only Dayton from my order list.

I have taken videos I will post it soon, so you can see them.

I have paid $240+ for these 4. I am not at all happy with the roots. They don't respond to the mails. I have to call them today.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Wow, I was not aware that you paid that MUCH for these roots. No wonder that you are unhappy. I would be too. For that price, you should get at least a 10-12 eyes root.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree with Kousa, I'd be unhappy with those roots at that price. I got Dayton from A&D and Dinner Plate from Fina this year, don't think I paid more than $25 for either of them and the roots were large and healthy.

• portia
    9 years ago

Late update here, I ordered from Brooks since they had a sale going on...I asked them to delay shipment since we were traveling for the holiday and just looked at my roots today. Holy moly, they have the biggest eyes on any of my orders this year (Fina, Gilbert Wild, Easy to Grow). And I didn't pay any more for them than Fina. I can't wait to see them next year. Now to get them into the ground tomorrow.

This is Flame with 15 huge eyes, the next pic is Skylark...the other one I purchased was Cytherea which has 4 big eyes but these two blew me away!

• portia
    9 years ago

Skylark with 9 eyes.

• bunti
    9 years ago

I envy you portia.

those are really very nice and huge roots.

Wish I have such roots too.

• lizbest1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Were you able to contact Reath's for a resolution, Bunti? There is no way they can say the roots you received were double sized, at a minimum they should refund the difference between normal and double sized.

Portia, those look really good! Brooks always delivers healthy, nice sized roots but those look to have more eyes than the ones I received from them earlier in the fall...

• portia
    9 years ago

Bunti, I hope you can get some resolution on your roots! It's so disappointing when your package comes and it's not what you expect.

Liz, yes I was shocked... they have some photos of roots on their site that look nice sized but nothing like this. I don't know if it's because I ordered so late or what. Anyhow, they are all in the ground now, thankfully we're in the mid 40's for a while and the ground is soft from rain.

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Those roots look really wonderful! I believe that you will definitely have flowers from these, Portia.

• bunti
    9 years ago

I have bought this tree peony, Shima Nishiki for 67.49 in a local nursery.

is it a good size plant for the price?

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

It's a decent sized price so I guess it is OK, but you can often find them around the $30 to $40 range at around this time of the year. If it is a local small nursery, they will often give discounts outside of spring which is typically when they are sold since you have to go through the trouble of over-wintering it.